Chapter 16

Chace’s POV

“Chace honey, please get up. You have a few minutes left to get ready for school. Up, up!” My mom opens my curtains, something she knows I hate. I don’t even try arguing with her. I lazily get out of bed and shoo her out. I spent the whole night trying to get through the book The Fault in Our Stars. I thought this was a lovey dovey, cliche love story, but it isn’t. Within the book, it incorporates real pain and struggles I can relate to. My first impression of Hazel was that she is a badass, intelligent chick who has to suffer through a disease known as Thyroid cancer. However, she lives on, managing to live by doses of a drug called “Phalanxifor”. Augustus is, well, a determine kind of guy who makes her life much more enjoyable. I’m attached to this book and I want to finish it now. 

Cindy bursts into my room with Booger, her hamster. “Chace! I can’t find Booger’s toy!” 

“What am I suppose to do?” I rummage through my closet to find a clean shirt to wear. Once I find the only damn decent top I can find, a button up plaid, I look back at Cindy and see her giving me the puppy look. 

“Have you asked mom?” 

“No, but I wanted to ask you first.” Booger sniffs the air and stares at me. I hate that thing. 

“I’ll look for it, just get out for a sec. I need to change.” She nods and runs out the room. 

I walk out to my balcony, yes I have a balcony that gives me a clear view of the backyard, and breath in the fresh morning air. I take off the white, wrinkled shirt I’m wearing and start unbuttoning the plaid shirt. The next door neighbor’s daughter, Angie, Alra or something like that, watches me from her backyard. When she realizes I’m staring back at her, she blushes and waves. I start putting my shirt on quickly and she starts moving her tongue up and down. Ha, yeah. I’m officially creeped out. I run to my room, locking the balcony door, and shove on jeans before heading to the bathroom. 

Usually I get up early and have time to watch news reports, but today I only have time for coffee and I’m out. I don’t make my own coffee, my mom does. To be honest, I don’t know how to work that dumb coffee maker. It hates me. 

“Goodmor-” Fuck! 

My mom gasps and closes the cabinet that she whipped opened and hit me square in the face. “I’m sorry Chace! Let me see your face.” She reaches towards me, but I walk past her. Fuck that hurt. It hurt more than those times I stubbed my toe walking past the couch. 

“That was funny.” Cindy giggles and pops cereal into her mouth. 

“Yeah, you try it sometime. You don’t see me crying about it.” She looks at me, dropping the cereal back into the bowl. “And are you eating MY cereal!?” Cindy looks at me terrified. She knows how mad I get when she touches my food. 

“Chace, stop fighting with your sister. Here’s your coffee, now off to school.” She puts the stainless steel cup in my hand while I have a stare match with Cindy. “I suggest you to start walking mister.” She leans in to kiss me in the cheek, but I quickly dodge her. 

“See ya later.” Time for school! More like prison. 

By the time I park at my usual spot, the warning bell rings. I start making my way to the entrance, watching where I walk because Cheyanne can be lurking any minute trying to kill people. I wonder if she has short attention span. Right on cue thinking about it, I see Cheyanne and her friend running towards the English building. She yanks the door open, hitting herself in the head. She stumbles back and holds her head with both of her hands. I swear this girl is trying to kill her brain cells.