Chapter 18

A/N: It's been two weeks since I lasted updated! I've had alot of homework and tests, so getting time to write has been difficult. I hope everyone understands. Enjoy(:

Cheyanne’s POV

“Really Cheyanne? Are you seriously studying your history notes in the middle of our game tournament?”

I flip through my five subject notebook. Antebellum Period is the period before the Civil War, there were many religious, reform, and utopian movements. The Transcendentalists, Shakers, Oneida Community, Cult of Democracy, origins of the women’s rights advocates...okay that’s easy to remember, but what is the..

“Chey! Are you even listening to me?” 

I put my index finger in the air to silence her.

“No you can’t make me shut up. Put that away!” She quickly takes a hold on one end of my notebook and pulls. 

I look at her horrifically and pull on the other end. She better not rip my notebook! It may be only a few dollars, but if it tears and I’ve been only using it for a few months now, that’s money wasted. 

“Let go Chey.”

“You let go! It’s mine!”

“Put it away. We have to prepare for the next game we have against Pingrove High in less than ten minutes!”

“That time fits perfectly for studying if you don’t mind.” 

“If you don’t let go in five seconds, I will gladly drag you until you let go of the notebook.” She gives me a stern look and I know she isn’t joking around. Damn it.

“Fine!” I let go of the of the notebook and she tucks it away in her bag. “Let’s get this over with."

“Good game ladies.” Coach Julia praises us. “Winning seven out of ten is not that bad. Hopefully tomorrow is much better.” She emphasizes the last word looking directly at me.  Okay, I actually wasn’t doing my best, so I’ll take that as a motivation to win all the games tomorrow. “The tournament is going to end a bit earlier, so tomorrow is the last day of the season. If I see improvement tomorrow at the game, I’ll buy pizza for all of you on Sunday. Deal?” Everyone shakes their head in agreement. Oh my goodness, the angels above have given her a great idea. I love pizza. It better not be one slice! I can relax Sunday and just study. Hopefully that’s the plan I stick to. “Okay, you girls can head out now. Tomorrow’s game starts at ten in the morning.”

“You heard that girly. Ten. MORNING.” Hannah holds up her ten fingers to dramatize her words. “Knowing you, you will be asleep.” Best friends know you too well.

“Probably. I’ll set my alarm.”

“You mean the one you threw and broke last week?” Oh right. Forgot about that. 

“Okay, whatever. I’ll be awake somehow, just don’t know how..yet.” 

“Whatever you say missy. Are you coming over at my place?” Hannah grabs her keys from her front pocket.

“Nope, gotta date with my notebook.” Hannah shakes her head at me. What? A girl can’t study?

“Don’t kill your brain tonight will you?” How can I not? I believe a handful of people in the world have the best memory. Sadly, I’m not one of them. My brain can remember information for a day and the next, it’s gone. 

“I’ll try not too. Not going to guarantee. Text me later, k?” Hannah nods her head and gives me a hug.

Walking to my car, I notice, once again, how beautiful the sky is. It’s not like I live in a bad town with nothing pure amazing about it. Perhaps I don’t focus on my surroundings and I’m too busy worrying about dance, volleyball, or school. Within an hour, the sun will set. I feel like this is a sign. The beautiful sky represents the hope I need. The hope that I can succeed in whatever I do, to live a healthy life, to have my dreams come true, to know that after a downfall, things get better.  No matter how hectic my life can be, I know that at the end of the day, it’s a life that best fits for me.