30. That Door Closed, But I Doubt Another Is Going To Open

Chapter 30

That Door Closed, But I Doubt Another Is Going To Open

Our guide Paco had a Jeep.  It was totally badass when you first saw it, open top with spotlights on the top rail and huge tires that looked like they could crush you in a heartbeat.  But when he drove it…

I thought I was going to die. 

“It fun, no?” Paco asked, grinning and looking in his rearview mirror at me, Max, and Brielle in the backseat.

“Totally fun,” I said, though I thought it was going to hurl. 

Max only laughed.  I wanted to punch the guy.  My glare was more than enough to shut him up, though. 

We’d been off the main road for a good half hour and on a dirt road that seemingly was going to take us to the middle of nowhere.  That was kind of the plan, though, so I wasn’t going to say a thing. 

The trees created a nice shade from the sun that was beating down from the sky.  I was already sweating in my tank top and shorts and we hadn’t even done any hiking yet.  I hadn’t even put on my hiking boots either because I knew it would probably be hot, which was totally an understatement.

Suddenly, Paco jerked the Jeep to the left, veering us off onto another, more desolate road.  Max started laughing at the face I made as I dug my fingers into his arm, leaving marks from my nails.  He winced, making me smirk.

It was only a few more minutes until we made it to a gate that ran across the road.  There was a sign that said no trespassing, but everyone knew that wouldn’t have happened anyway, with or without a sign. 

“This as far I take you,” Paco said, putting the Jeep in park.  He made no move to get out.

Dad opened the passenger seat, grabbing his backpack, and lifted the seat for the three of us to get out of the back.

“Thank you,” he said, shutting the door. 

“Sí, sí,” Paco said, already putting the Jeep in reverse.  He looked like he wanted to get out of there as soon as he could.

There was a cloud of dust as he drove quickly away.  I pulled my hiking boots out of my backpack and knelt down to put them on.  After lacing them up, I picked up my backpack and put it back over my shoulders. 

“Are we ready?” Dad asked, looking at us.

“How exactly are we supposed to get through the gate?” Max asked as we walked toward it.

The gate was basically made of barbed wire.  You could have just easily slipped through the foot wide cracks between each one, which looked like many people had already done before.  If they’d gotten back out, that was the scary part. 

“Come on,” Dad said, holding up a loose area of the wire.  “Climb through.”

Brielle went first, followed by me, Max, and then Dad.  Once we were on the other side of the fence, we turned around and looked put the narrow path that started up the mountain.  The trees and vines were thick and you could hear the birds as if they were right on top of you, which was more than likely the case.

We all sort of looked at each other for a moment before we started up the trail. 

Yeah, I was in shape, but this was nothing like I was used to.  We were practically climbing over tree limbs and dodging around things that were hanging in our way.  And I swear the crazy-looking bugs were out to get me.  I was being attacked almost every few seconds by one.  I screamed a few times when something huge flew toward my face.