21. A Nice Dinner Out And Then...Bam!

***Don't hate me for starting out cute and then...you'll see!***

Chapter 21

A Nice Dinner Out And Then…Bam!

When I woke up the next morning, I could feel someone’s breath on the side of my neck.  It seemed like they were lying halfway on top of me, too, since I could feel the weight of them on me.

And then I remembered what happened with Max. 

Slowly, I opened my eyes and looked over to see the top of his dark head.  He was the one that was half squishing me.  I reached up with the hand that wasn’t pinned under him and ran my fingers through his messy hair.

Max took a deep breath before looking over at me slowly, his eyes still droopy from sleep. 

“Hey,” he said in a husky voice. 

“Hi,” I said, smiling back. 

He looked at me for a moment before speaking again.  “You look beautiful even when you just wake up.  That takes talent,” he said, a goofy grin on his face.

I rolled my eyes and laughed, starting to get up.  I had to push him a little to get him off of me.  “You must be still tired because you’re talking crazy,” I said, standing up.  “Go back to sleep.  It’s only…”  I looked over at the clock beside the bed.  “One in the afternoon.”

“I’ve got to do one thing before I do, though,” he said, grabbing my hand.  

He pulled me down toward him just as he sat up.  He grinned before kissing me, making butterflies erupt in my stomach.

“There,” he said, letting go of my hand and laying back against the pillows.  He turned over and buried his head in the pillow that I had just got up from.  “Now I can go back to sleep, though you can be expecting another one of those once I wake up.”

I just smiled as I watched him close his eyes again, breathing in deeply.  He was asleep again before I even walked out of the room after brushing my teeth in the bathroom. 

I could hear the television as I walked down the hallway toward the living room, stretching my arms above my head as I yawned.  Brielle was sitting on the couch with her laptop in her lap when I sat down beside her.

She looked over at me with a smile.  “Good afternoon,” she said.  “Sleep well?”

I could feel my blush color my face.  “Yeah, I did.”

She laughed then as she put her laptop on the table in front of the couch.  “I would, too, with a cute guy like Max in my bed.”

My jaw dropped as I gaped at her.  “I…we…how…”

She laughed again, patting my knee.  “Your dad and I aren’t stupid.  We knew something went on between the two of you after you got the coin at the museum and when you two finally got here earlier.  So…how was it?”

“How was what?” I asked, looking anywhere but at her. 

“He kissed you, didn’t he?”

“Maybe…”

“Callie!” she said.

I groaned.  “Okay, fine!  Yes, he did.  Twice.  But then I kissed him twice, since he felt guilty for stealing my first kiss, just to make it even,” I said.  When I looked over at her, she was grinning, raising an eyebrow.  “And the others were kind of mutual.”