Chapter 146 ~ Regrettable Truths

Random Fact #11- Rieka is a virgin but Kakashi is not.

Hasn't been more than a month but I don't like leaving you guys with nothing. I'm on holiday again in a week (for two) so I might be able to finally finish the story without unnecessarily large gaps between chapters.

Regarding the Fay thing: I didn't realise until after I'd written it that Fay's arc in the story is basically over. I mean, she still has one or two more mini scenes but that's basically it. Her story is over.

I still believe it was needed; their stories are intertwined. While Fay never meets Rieka (alive) the legacy she leaves behind is what shapes Rieka into who she is — and Rieka embodies the ideals Fay feared as a child; losing one's self in a world without reason.

Anyway - Enjoy!

::

Naruto felt his fists curl up tight, brow crinkled in frustration as he grit his teeth. His blue eyes snapped open, glaring at the Uchiha before him, Naruto stepped forward. "How can you say that?!" 

Obito locked eyes with the nine-tail's Jinchuuriki and sighed, annoyance flickering in his sharingan-rinnegan eyes for a moment before it vanished. "Because," He drawled. 

"Life isn't fair."

::

He wanted to interfere; to jump in — shake the man by his shoulders and demand answers. Why are you doing this? What happened to you? How far gone are you? You know what will happen now, don't you?

But Namikaze Minato wasn't a seasoned war veteran for a nothing; he knew his place. No matter how desperately he needed answers — closure. It was Naruto's fight, his son's fight. He wouldn't interfere. No matter how much he wanted to.  

So he'd have to watch the scene take place; Naruto battling Obito over control for his sanity as the alliance battled for the Bjuu chakra. Both had stopped reacting to the outside world a while back, likely locked in Obito's mind. 

It was all up to Naruto now. He only needed to make Obito falter for a moment and the alliance could completely seperate the Bjuu chakra. Then, Obito's ten-tail Jinchuuriki form would be lost to time. If anyone could make Obito see reason, it was Naruto. 

He was the child of the prophecy, after all. Jiraiya the Sannin's star pupil. Hero of Konoha and, one day, hero of the Fourth Great Shinobi World War.

'And future Hokage'. Minato smiled proudly, face lightening up. 'Future Hokage of Konohagakure, I'm sure of it.'

Minato's eyes lingered on his son a moment longer before shifting to a figure not far off from where he was standing; she was laying, back to the dirt. Minato frowned.

The alliance was basically just waiting for Naruto to win his little mind battle with Obito, they couldn't do anything to help other than hold the fort. Hashirama and his brother were trying to seal Madara in a joint effort, Minato would have to join up soon to assist them.

But for now, he could spare a few minutes. Couldn't he? He had questions to ask and finally an opportunity to ask them.

So Minato looked back to his son once more before turning and dashing off. Making sure to slow when he approached the laying figure. He could feel Kakashi's eyes on him as he did, once he reached her, he stopped and stared. Silent.

Then, "You're the last person I expected to see again."

Minato frowned at her voice; strained, clearly tired. Tone dead, and almost as cold as her skin. Rieka didn't look at her former sensei, eyes still trained on the starless sky above. He couldn't see her face but he knew it was expressionless, to fit the sickening red that coated her every inch.