Chapter 142 ~ The Genius And The Failure

Random Fact #7- When Rieka was twelve, Rin forced her into a bright pink dress and she was later laughed at by Obito. She still hates pink to this day.

::

"I want to create a new world, a world...of peace."

'Peace huh?'

Hyuuga Neji's throat felt a little sore from screaming and his eyes were long since dried out of tears. In his arms lay Sachihiro, his body cold and his eyes closed, and even in death he had that smile.

Neji could feel the roughness of the dirt under his knees and the discomfort of his blood soaked shirt pressed up against his chest. Staring up, completely and utterly lost, at what would be the end for both him and the world.

Behind him stood Senju Tobirama, Neji thinks, to be honest he stopped caring about the man who was taken from the scene by that pink-haired woman while Sachihiro uttered his final words. He hadn't seen Rieka at all either...and he didn't want to see her.

He didn't want to see anyone but his brother. But his brother was gone and was never coming back.

The ten-tails let out a mighty roar, terrifying the hearts of shinobi everywhere, but Neji only stared up at the beast. His fingers knitted through Sachihiro's long, ratted hair — sprawled out free across the earth — as Neji was too afraid to part from it.

He was too afraid to even let go of Sachihiro. So he just stared up at that gigantic monster and wondered what would happen now.

He didn't even think anyone knew.

::

Rieka couldn't speak.

She had a million things to say, or at least she thinks she does, but she cannot for the life of her seem to part her lips and utter those simple, complicated words. She didn't even know what she wanted to say.

She just needed to say it.

Rieka turned to him, sizing him up with a frown. "And...you are?"

"...H—Hyuuga Sachihiro."

She titled her head just a bit, no longer paying attention to Kakashi as he rambled on or to the rest of the anbu team as they introduced themselves.

He was small with two pale-white eyes and a nervous smile, trembling at the sight of her.

"Sachihiro?" She repeated, eyebrows crinkling.

"Y—Yes?"

"Where...where do I know that name?"

"Ma, Rieka...have you forgotten me already?"

There was a flicker and instead of the trembling teen stood a man with mismatched eyes and a wide grin.

There was a flash of red and the man was laying on the ground, eyes wide and empty with a short lodged through his heart, lips parted as they muttered their final words.

Before the man stood a little girl.

The little girl's hands were wrapped tight around the hilt of the sword, plunging it deeper into his heart. She looked back to reveal a pair of sea-foam green eyes and a small, innocent smile.