Chapter 126 ~ Let Us Protect You

(a/n: I changed it up a little bit. Won't impact the plan war timeline at all. It will all happen at canon time like normal. It is just a changed to fit the new character personalities.

Neji is so OOC in this story. He is basically another person. His resolve to bring his brother to justice greatly strengthened his relationship with Naruto. He still has that calm, calculated persona about him from the original, but he also has a cocky, almost jolly personality - making him unknowingly similar to his brother)

::

Hyuuga Neji mindlessly stared at the mug before him, watching the steam billow upwards in a spiral-like movement, the blurred figure of Naruto behind catching his attention.

"Stop worrying," the Hyuuga spoke out in a bored tone, "it won't help you anymore."

Naruto ceased his pacing, shooting Neji a narrow stare before turning away, huffing in defeat. The Uzumaki collapsed in the chair beside his friend, scratching his arm with a frown.

"I can't help it." The blonde confined in his friend, "everyone is going to war for me."

Neji gently kicked Naruto with the heel of his boot, earning a "ow" in return.

"What was that for!?" Naruto reeled, rubbing his tender arm.

Neji simply reached over to collect his mug, silently sipping his tea. "You're doing it again."

Naruto frowned. "I'm not doing anything." He slumped further into the couch. "It's just nobody has to die fo-"

"You're doing it again."

The blonde shot his friend a look. "I'm not doing any-"

Neji cut him off, "yes, you are." He placed his mug down gently, turning to face Naruto. "We are not going to war because we need to. It's because we want to."

"Granted war wasn't how I imagined spending my next few months." He commented quietly, shrugging.

"But still.." Naruto frowned. "It shouldn't be like this. Nobody should-"

"Naruto." Neji reminded him with an almost mocking tone. The Uzumaki silenced.

"This Madara guy is a threat to us all." Neji turned himself to face Naruto. "We're going to war to protect not only you and Bee, but the future generations."

"Kankuro, after a few drinks, let spill just what this weirdo wants." The Hyuuga frowned. "We can't just let him run free with his evil plan. Protecting you two is just apart of ours."

Naruto was silent for a moment, contemplating his friend's words. "I s'pose you're right."

A grin lit up on his cheeks. "I'll just have to pay you guys back a tenfold in the battle!"

"Unfortunately, no. You can't do that."

Naruto's smile dropped, replaced by confusion. "What do you mean?"

"They're sending you and Bee off to a remote island, for protection." Neji explained. "That's why i'm here in the first place, Kakashi-sensei put me in charge of telling you."

"But they wanted me to feed you some bullshit story and keep the whole war all hush hush." He continued, noticing the disbelief rising within Naruto. "But I thought you should know."

"They're just gonna make us hide!?" Naruto's voice started to rise.

Neji wasn't sure if he was angry or not. He probably felt cheated.