Chapter 108 ~ Tell Them I'm Sorry

"I--Impossible!" Rieka's eyes widened. Jumping to their feet, the Akatsuki duo quickly shifted into position.

Sachihiro had one hand above him, fingers curling tight on the hilt his tanto, eyes sharp. Rieka, however, stepped forward, fingers inching towards her kunai pouch, eyes following the bright buzz of chakra, trailing behind the figure.

Rieka's eyes sharpened. "That's not a person."

"How can you tell?" The Uzumaki glanced beside him. "I can barely make out the dot it's so far away."

"Wait!" He sighed. "Let me guess? Another benefit of being an Akiyama?"

Ignoring his words, Rieka knelt down, eyes fluttering closed as she concentrated her chakra, hands forming signs.

"What is it?"

Rieka's eyes snapped up, lips parted in surprise.

"It's a toad."

"A what?"

"A toad, Sachihiro." Rieka stood. "More specifically a summoning."

"But I thought you said Jiraiya was the last?"

She nodded. "He is. Not only the last Toad Sage but summoner as well."

"So how is it here?"

"I don't know." Rieka snipped, eyes harsh. "But it's not welcome here."

"Rie-!"

The Akiyama was gone.

::

Kakashi heaved, fingers digging into his vest as he applied pressure to his wound, clotting the blood.

"Kakashi-sensei..." Chouji frowned, glancing at the Jonin. "We should get you to Tsunade-sama."

"No." He breathed, eye half-lidded. "We have to protect Konoha."

Chouji frowned, carefully watching the sensei as both turned their attention back to Pain, his figure casting a shadow above them. Chouza grinned shooting the silver-haired jonin a glance before shifting his attention to Chouji.

In an unspoken agreement the father and son charged, spinning round as Kakashi concentrated his little remaining chakra.

"Too slow." Pain mused, pushing apart the duo, eyes widening slightly as a clink was heard.

Chouji grinned. "Kakashi-sensei! Now!"

The silver-haired Jonin leapt forward, lightning at the ready and elbow reeled back, in a split second his fist collided with another body of Pain's, saving the originals.

He thrust his palms forward, eyes sharpening. "Shinra Tensei."

Kakashi's arms quickly flung to his face, back skidding across the ground. Chouza leapt in front of Chouji, protecting his son from the blast. After a few moments the smoke passed, revealing a trapped Kakashi struggling to break free and a star-struck Chouji sitting beside his father.

"D--Dad...?"

His eyes widened in horror.

"Wake up!"

Chouji gripped his father's arms, shaking him repeatedly.

"Dad! Dad! No.." Tears began to form. "No! Dad!"

"C--Chouji.."

The teen's head shot up. "K-Kakashi-sensei...?"

Gasping in horror, he finally took noticed to the jonin's bloodied figure, trapped a few feet away.