Chapter 44 ~ The Chase

Rieka leapt from branch to branch, ignoring the searing pain that surged through her legs as she soldiered on. After nearly three years of dirty dippers and nursing screaming babies, it was safe to say that Rieka wasn't in best the of shape.

Thankfully her clan was specially adapted to fight over several generation so the lack of training didn't hit her too hard, though she was struggling to maintain her speed.

"Are you alright?" The Snake clad ANBU asked, picking up speed slightly.

"I'm.. fine.." She heaved, breathing heavily as she clutched her aching chest.

'God.. i'm so unfit..'

The ANBU didn't seem convinced, shooting her a glance from his thick mask that she couldn't quite make out. 

Fortunately her sensing skills were better than ever. Clasping her hands into a few hand signs  before she fluttered her eyelids closed, stretching out her range to cover all of Konoha.

She could visibly see each and everyone in Konohagakure, down to their very last detail. The skill was incredibly helpful, also helping her to trace Hiruzen's chakra, watching with an unimpressed frown as he was shipped off to Konoha Hospital.

A spark caught her attention, eyes widening as she sensed an eerie yet familiar chakra in the last place anyone would expect.

The Hyuuga Compound.

'The Kirigakure shinobi?.. Than who are we following.. and why is he there?.. But why the Hyuuga?...' 

Rieka came to a halt, eyes wide

'Of course! How could I be so blind!!'

The young ANBU followed closely in suit, peering back in confusion at his superior. "Rieka-Sama?"

She shot him a narrowed stare, gritting her teeth slightly in irritation. "Kid! We have to head back!"

The ANBU was beyond confused as he watched the brunette zip round, sprinting back into Konoha at record speed.

"B-But! Why!?" He called out, unable to mask his fear.

"It was a distraction. A diversion."

"From what!?" 

She glanced back, eyes blazing. "From the kidnapping of Hyuuga Hinata, heiress of the Hyuuga clan."

"H-Hinata-Sama!?!" He gasped, catching her by surprise.

"You know her?" Rieka asked. "No." The boy shook his head. "Not personally but I served under Hiashi-Sama for many years." 

"You're a Hyuuga?" She asked, looking the boy up and down as she leapt forwards. "Your chakra says differently."

"Y-Yes.. I'm first born of the Branch Family.."

"Branch Family?" Rieka repeated, coming to a halt.

"But Sachihiro was first born of the Branch Family, and i'm pretty sure he is not dead. The only other option is that you are his little brother Neji.. but you're far too old.. who are you?"

The Hyuuga chuckled. "You really forgot me? Captain."

Rieka couldn't mask her shock as the ANBU pulled of his Snake Mask, revealing the much older face of Hyuuga Sachihiro.

"Sachihiro? But I didn't recognise your chakra.." She mumbled, taking in every detail.

He looked much older, at least twenty three, but still as short. His short hazel locks had grown into a wild braid which he kept tightly pushed back. He had a relatively buffer body and wore a strained smile, it was evident in the way he carried himself that something had happened.