Chapter 97 ~ Fading Hearts

(This song - Hurt by Johnny Cash - perfectly describes Rieka and her life - Yes it is the song featured in the Logan trailer)

::

"Tsunade-sama."

"I know I know." The blonde sighed, slowly rising from her chair.

She followed behind the two anbu members as they guided her towards the meeting room, remaining outside as she entered.

"Tsunade, how nice of you to finally join us." Koharu snipped.

Homura couldn't help but sigh at his childhood friend's words, sinking into his chair. Tsunade ignored the remark, taking her place at the head of the table, looking upon the clan heads' and council members.

"Shikaku."

The Nara rose, nodding politely in the Hokage's direction. 

"Report."

"The nations grow hostile, Hokage-sama." He frowned. "Jinchuuriki are vanishing everyday, without their bjuu the kage grow more and more agitated. They believe with Konoha being one of the few villages to still have their bjuu, that we will attack-"

"And we should!"

Each pair of eyes looked over from Shikaku to fix on Danzō.

Tsunade groaned internally.

"You're late!" She huffed. 

"As were you." 

She gripped the edge of her chair, tight, the wood cracking from underneath, her teeth grinding.

God did she hate Danzō.

"Danzō what is your excuse for this tardiness?" Koharu asked. "And to suggest such a thing as war with Konoha's current state, I hope you excuse is a good one."

Danzō hobbled of towards his chair, collapsing down with his usual stoic expression.

"I was tending to our prisoner."

Tsunade sneered. "He is off limits."

Danzō's eyes glanced over towards Tsunade, before turning back to the other members.

"He possesses both the Byakugan and the Sharingan, a fully formed one to be exact. To pass over such a situation would be disgraceful. It could be used to the benefit of the village."

"No." 

Danzō turned back to Tsunade. "I was not aware I spoke directly to you, this is a council matter-"

"No, it isn't! Any missing-nin captured on my orders is my responsibility! Until I see fit to pass him on to the council for the proper judgement, I am free to do whatever I please. I will not have his eyes gouged out! It is barbaric!"

His one good eye sharpened, hand curling around his cane. "You would risk the village's advancement because you're too weak to give the order?"

"Are you questioning my leadership?" Tsunade mumbled, teeth grit.

"No, I question you as a shinobi."

Tsunade saw red.

Danzō turned back to Koharu and Homura. "Do you really want this girl leading the village? Look at the decisions she is making."

"YOU!" Tsunade screamed, jumping up from her chair.

The Clan heads' edged back slightly, staring up fearfully at their angered Hokage.

"You insolent man!" She barked. "How dare you question me!"

Danzō remained calm.

"Tsunade-sama!" Shizune grabbed her mentor's arm. "Don't do anything rash!"