Chapter 105 ~ The Path I Choose

"Pein is going after the kyuubi."

One simple sentence, six words, ten syllables, and Rieka's entire world turned upside down. She was faced with the one thing she never wanted to face, standing before her, blocking her escape rout, forcing her to act.

Rieka knew this day would come, she only hoped there was more time.

The dawn of a new day, first rays of light reaching up from beyond the mountain tops, basking the land in it's glory. Rieka stood before the inescapable fate she was always destined to meet.

From the moment she grasped Obito's hand.

From the moment she struck down Hiruzen.

From the moment she sealed away Naruto's memories.

From the moment she walked through the village gate, never looking back.

From the moment she betrayed Kakashi.

Was the moment her fate was sealed, and this was the path she was destined to walk down.

"I want you to go with him." Obito's voice was a mere echo of his former self. "Watch over, make sure nothing goes wrong."

Two paths, one left, the other right.

Would she go left, where nothing is right.

Or would she go right, where nothing is left.

"Have you strayed from your true path, Rieka?"

What was her true path? The path she was destined to follow? That was bullshit in her mind. Paths were ever changing, each choice you made opened up another path you could take.

But once you settled on a path, you could never turn back.

The question was, would the she go left?

"Don't do this...I can talk to the Hokage, we can work this out, you don't need to do this...there is another way...Just please...don't leave me..."

Or would she go right?

"You always spoke of saving the world, and now you can. Join me, and you will see them again."

'This is the path I choose.'

So Rieka walked.