25 | dangers of the faithless

Start from the beginning

"Shouldn't we ask the owner that?" he mumbled.

"No need. The stables contained two rows with five compartments on each side but the old horse was put on the first row. I asked and they said the arrangement of horses is based on age. The youngest horse is at age twelve. That already tells you a lot."

"You noticed that?"

"Of course. I observe. Unlike you—"

"Right. You know I only notice you."

"If I recall correctly, you were looking at the horses."

"Ah, yes. You met your rival."

I couldn't stop my chuckles that I hated myself for a second. I crushed the packet of bacon we had eaten and stood up. "Let's just go."

We were back on the horse ranch but this time, I dragged Colt on the edge of the field where people could ride the horses. It was the most popular activity in the ranch that there were customers, mostly families, that flocked near the pens.

"You go," I commanded, wrinkling my nose as the kids' excitement in feeding the horses hovered in the air.

He shot me a bewildered look. "What? How about you?"

"Go and try everything here," I said. "And tell me how's the experience so I know what kind of marketing strategy I'll make."

"You can't do that." Colt shook his head in disagreement. "You're gonna advertise something you haven't even tried yet?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "So? What do you even know about marketing?"

"Nothing," he answered. "But it sounds like a fraud."

"Oh, so you're into honesty now?" I crossed my arms, shooting him a nasty glare. "That's funny."

Colt let out a deep sigh. He roamed his gaze around our surroundings as he clicked his tongue to stop his rebuttal. His effort painted a smile on my face.

"Fine." He blurted as he marched towards a ranch employee. He chatted with the uniformed guy and they dragged the horse towards me.

I stepped back immediately. "Woah. What are you doing?"

"You're gonna try or I'll call you a coward," he announced while he rubbed at the brown thoroughbred's neck.

"Hey!" I shrieked that the horse flicked its tail. I jumped in surprise, grabbing Colt's arm in reflex.

"Come on, boss." He shot me a smirk. "You're not a coward, are you?"

The sing-song way he said it raised my irritation to its highest level. I reluctantly stepped forward, setting my hand next to the worn-out saddle. I had read too many books on riding a horse. I could do this.

"Okay. Good horse," I muttered. I placed my left foot on the stirrup and inhaled deeply.

I pulled myself up when the horse moved. I freaked out and turned. I lost my balance, heading straight into Colt's arms.

Shit.

His sturdy arms wrapped around my body that my feet weren't even touching the soil. I flushed at our proximity though I was more thankful that he couldn't see my face.

I let my heartbeat settle, morphing my expression into indifference before I unlinked my arms around his neck.

I licked my lips, stepping away from him.