Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde

Mindy's P.O.V.

After a relaxing bath among scented candles and some Paramore anthems, I felt ready to face my fate. The days before had been a little bit blue for me. Not only because I was unsure about my feelings but also I had to get rid of my ghosts. Somehow, I had never been  the kind of girl who tends to be picky regarding guys. Not that I'm the type of person who's flirty or even sexy. I'm a brainy fanfic addict who's as rational as sensitive. But my feelings towards Oliver were not easy to understand. The night before, he called me to know if I was fine and then took the courage to ask me out on a date again. It was for sure a bold and romantic move, and I felt authentically flattered. Even though I took a few seconds to answer, a straight yes came out from my mouth. I could notice he was smiling on the other side of the tube. He had a crush on me and -to be honest- I did like him. I really did.

So I put on my favorite black pencil skirt, a slightly halter white shirt and high heels. Weirdly, I felt more sexy and glowing than ever. That was my first date actually. I'd never been asked out before. Maybe guys saw me as the strange bookworm who was obsessed with teenage drama. They were not mistaken. Actually, I'm all of that. And proudly so.

When I was waiting for Oliver to come, I texted Liam back. Apparently he was having a blast in sunny California with his new friends. I was truly happy for his new life. He needed more than anyone to come out from his shell and start living his own adventures. I wondered if I had to learn from his experience. Also from Oliver's. He had a tough time when he came out as a transgender. His mom was really supportive since the first moment. His father though... He was so proud of his little girl that took him long to realize this transition was the best for his child. He had to bury his prejudices and embrace the change. I took mental note of that phrase before I heard the horn from outside. I was almost trembling when I left the house and get clumsily into his car. Oliver looked gorgeous with his stripped white and navy blue shirt and his new undercut hair style.

'Hey... You look pretty tonight' He instantly blushed and avoided to make any eye contact.

'So do you...' I smiled nervously but I had to overcome this shyness 'Where are we heading, handsome?'

<< Handsome? Okay. I surely sounded pathetic >> I thought.

However, he looked straight into my eyes -for the first time ever- and smile broadly.

'We are going to the best sushi place in town... Gorgeous.' His eyes were shining bright under the street lights.

We both stared at each other for a while. This is it. We both knew it's as strange as magical. We, that used to be two girls discussing about vampires in the Reading Club and laughing at the same nerdy jokes. Now, it's different but also the same. He was her true self now and I felt honored to date my friend. I loved that he was still the person I used to know. He was all that and more now. He was an option and I was giving him a shot. Giving us a shot.

'Can't wait to try the niguiris then' I grinned back.

'Let's go!' He answered vividly and started the engine.

Dinner was almost perfect. The sushi restaurant was a modern building placed next to the river and its atmosphere was really cozy and intimate. There were candles everywhere and the meals were carefully made to be as tasty as good looking. We laughed quite a lot but chatted about serious topics also. He was about to head college soon and planning to major in English Literature. So we're discussing heartily about the new Young Adult tendencies and the importance of reaching new readers in the beautiful world of fiction. Even though he was always a little bit skeptical about the teenage fictions, we both agreed they were sophisticating through time. He looked so cute while frowning at my stubbornness. And even more sweet when he made a little stop at my favorite ice cream parlor to buy us a popsicle. He remembered I loved the strawberry one with cream filling, so I hadn't even to ask for it. We both sat next to each other on a bench outside due to the fact the night was pretty warm and the moon was shining bright in the sky. Also because his father would had killed him if he found any stain on the car seats. But let's forget that tiny detail. I'm a sucker for romance, if you hadn't noticed.

'Is it good? This double chocolate ice lolly is so out of this planet.' He was munching his popsicle so rapidly his chin was covered with ice cream and I couldn't help but to laugh 'What?'

'Stay still, dummie' I took a tissue from my purse and started to clean up his dirty face. He turned red again but this time he was looking tenderly at me.

'You are amazing.' He said softly as I finished.

'No, I'm not. I'm just a clean freak.' I replied loudly, also blushing.

'Come on. Let's go. My parents will kill me if i don't get home before midnight.' Oliver said as I finished my lolly, then he stood up and shrugged 'Not because of me, of course. They want to be sure the car is still unharmed.'

'Shut up, silly. Okay, let's head home. Dad is surely waiting for me as well. He was really nervous when I told him I was having a date.'

'A date, huh? Who's the lucky one?' He joked as we get into the car.

'Some freaky dude who thinks is too cool to read fan fiction but can't even eat ice cream as a civilized human been.' I replied as we both laughed.

'Freaky then... That's what I am.' Instead of starting the engine, he crossed his arms and stared serious at me 'Isn't it weird for you? I mean... I tend to avoid anyone who knew me as Olivia so it's easier for them to embrace me as just Oliver. But you met me before in the Reading Club and still... Here you are. Having a date with me. Why?'

'Are you kidding me? Because I love spending time with you, Oliver!'

'But I'm not a regular guy. Also, you knew me as Dr. Jekyll but now I'm just Mr. Hyde. Besides, I haven't finished to discover this new me.' He made a pause. His eyes were covered with tears and also mine.

'C'mon on! Don't even dare to use Stevenson as a reference. You're not a monster. You are the most amazing guy I ever met and if you want so, I can help you with your transition.'

'The most amazing transgender guy maybe...' He turned his head to look through his side window.

'Hey...' I softly took the left side of his face with my hand and made him to look at me straight in my eyes. 'The most amazing guy. Full stop. And I'm the one who is sorry for not accepting your date proposal the first time...' My heart was beating really fast and I could felt his pounding as well. This is it.

'Don't be sorry, please... What have I done to be the luckiest boy on earth?' He said tenderly in a low voice, grabbing my hand and holding it. 'Would you mind if I kiss you right now? I've been waiting for it since the beginning and...'

'Hush' I said putting my index finger on his lips 'It doesn't work this way...'

'How does it work then?' He looked surprised.

'Now is the moment when you steal a kiss from me.' I was being the kinkiest I had ever been and I felt really fine with it. I began to understand Helen since that same moment.

'May I steal a kiss from you then? I've been waiting...'

'Oliver!' I complaint loudly with a broad smile on my face.

'Okay... I was trying to be polite, Mindy.' He stopped being so serious and smiled me back.

'So don't be and...'

And was then when he pressed his lips against mine. His chocolate flavored kiss was exactly what I needed to bury my fears and prejudices once for all. It felt so good it was surreal.

'How was it? Is was good? I mean, I loved it...' He laid back and looked at me waiting for an answer 'But if you think this is weird we can forget ab...'

'Shut up already!' I said and kissed him back under the moonlight.