Not a trial

Facing your parents with an unexpected truth it's a challenge you are never ready to deal with. Whether you broke a really valuable family relic or even hide your school report under the dog's mat, you would always be scolded by your parents and grounded for weeks without video games. Well, that's not the case of this odd situation. Now there's no reason to be punished or even lectured. It is just to be accepted on something deeply personal. But, you know, it doesn't work this way all the time.

'Mom...' my voice was trembling when I walked into the living room. My mother was reading some sort of book about modern political affairs. She is a journalist and has her own column in the local paper.

'Yeah, Liam. I'm here' she answered serenely raising her hand from the couch.

'Where is Dad?' I asked when I took seat in a wooden chair next to the sofa.

'Dad is making some after-dinner cocoa! Want some, buddy?' he yelled from the kitchen in a festive tone. He runs a little cozy café downtown. Due to its great success among executives and businessmen, Dad is planning to expand the franchise throughout the city.

'Of course I do!' I thought I wasn't able to reject the offering in order not to alarm my parents.

When we all sat down around the coffee table, with the hot chocolate in one hand and a buttered chocolate chip cookie in the other, all eyes suddenly turned to me.

'Honey, you were looking for us for something in particular?' Mom sounded concerned.

'If you have killed the dog also, I will get really pissed, young man' my father's joke was really on point and I couldn't help myself and started to laugh. We all did.

'No. Griffy will annoyingly live forever. The fact is...' my voice cracked and I couldn't find the courage to find the words 'Mom.. Dad... I...'

I had to spit it out before the contained energy from all this hidden years started to make implosions inside of me. I couldn't afford even one more day without...

'I'm gay.'

Then an awkward silence invaded the room. Mom's eyes were loaded with tears while Dad was looking at me trying to say something. I expected the worse. I was figuring out packing and leave the house as soon as possible.

'We already knew. A parent always knows.' stated Dad softly 'You have to understand we'll have to process all of this in our minds and to reformulate certain future expectations' he took Mom's hand 'But we both love you...'

'... and support you in every single aspect of your life.' Mom was really moved 'Cause we raised you the best we could and we are really proud, Liam. You are a great son.'

I was petrified in surprise when my both parents came next to me and gave me the most endless caring hug ever. I'm not a moaning person, but I suddenly burst into tears. Happiness tears.

'I have to take advantage of this kind of situations. If not, you would never let me hug you this way.' joked Mom as we separated from each other and I started to clean up my tears with my sleeve.

'Now... There's any young boy in your life we have to be concerned about?' asked Dad as he took sit again next to Mom. 

'Not yet. No need to buy a shotgun, please.' And I laugh. We all did.

How easier life would be for us, underdogs, if society could take us the way we are without questioning? Fortunately, my parents were a step forward. Mom and Dad would love me no matter who I was and always respected me as the person they'd raised. And even more. They taught me, that same night, not to be rid by the prejudices I used to be afraid of.

Praise to them.