Kindergarten

I cursed loudly when I was under the shower as I heard the bell ringing to the beat of 'The Final Countdown'. It was definitely Helen, and getting really impatient. She was kind of obsessed with this 80's bands and their power ballads, and Europe was our favorite. So I get the reference and left the bathroom a minute before or so, trying not to trip over the carpet on the floor. But when I reached my bedroom after running wet down the corridor with the towel in my hand, she was comfortably lying on my bed, watching my naked self as I turned tomato red.

'Nice abs, lanky' Helen was laughing as I tried to cover up my intimate parts with the towel 'No need to feel ashamed, I've seen of these before'.

'Couldn't you wait for me downstairs to get dressed at least?' I yelled while I was struggling getting my boxers on 'Also, who let you in?'.

'Your dad was about to leave the house for some ice cream for his and your mom, and told me to come here to wait for you' she explained as I get dressed 'Anyways, now you're out of the closet, we are kind of sisters now, and there is no problem for us to be naked in front of each other'.

'Sisters?... I don't think I'm quite comfortable with the idea of you addressing to me in feminine'.

'Relax, honey'  Helen stood up and helped me to button my shirt  'I'm so proud of my lil' Lizzy' she said and gave me a really warm hug.

'I don't know why I keep on liking you' I laughed as we separate from each other 'Love you, Hel'.

'Well, enough of so much tenderness. Let me take a look on you.' she examined me as I stood still before her piercing gaze.

'You are okay... but not sexy enough' she observed 'Neither gay enough though'.

'Gay enough? Really Helen, I'm really getting used to the idea of...'

'Come on, silly. It's hook up time! You have to get rid of this baggy boring jeans at least.'

'Any idea?' I gave up to Helen's insistence, taking off my old jeans.

'More than one' she asserted vigorously while looking for something in my drawers.

'Wh-What are you looking for?'

'Freedom, buddy' she yelled as she held up firmly a pair of scissors with her hand.

Then Helen took my old jeans and started to measure it with my body. She was on fire, trying to create something wearable. Her dream was to become a fashion designer, and had always take advantage of any opportunity to be in contact with fabric.

'Do you have any idea of what you are doing?'

'Shut up! I'm creating'

Minutes after, we heard Robert's car horn coming from outside and I started to get nervous. So I rushed to the window as I beckoned my friend to wait for us a little.

'C'mon Li. Put some pants on! Booze is running out, buddy!' he shouted when parking his convertible.

I turned around and saw Helen with a wide smile on her face, showing me up some kind of ragged mini shorts.

'You've got to be kidding'

'At this point, It's this...' Robert started to honk the horn again '... or nothing'.

'Fuck! OKAY!' I put those shorts on as I could tell how pleased of herself Helen was feeling.

One minute and several horns after, we headed downstairs as we wave my parents goodbye. I could tell how both were staring at my look when I left but I tried to pay them no mind.

'Forgot your jeans in the closet?' Robert was laughing loudly as we got into the car.

'Ha-ha. Really funny, dumbass' Helen scolded him as he started the engine.

'It's Helen's fashion vision. I feel like a fool now.' I stated as I sank embarrassed in the seat.

'Nonsense. Pure bullshit. You look like a hottie right now'.

'Do you know who is gonna be at the party, Rob?' I inquired my friend in order to change the subject.

'What kind of question is that, Lizard? Mark has invited every single human being from school.' That made me even more nervous.

'Terrific! I'm so excited. My new slampiece is going too. He's so steamy' she yelled in excitement. It was so simple for her to be as she pleased.

'You slut! One more to add to the list'

'Can you even make them last more than a week?' I said.

'It's not me. Apparently, I'm just too much to handle'.

Robert and I rolled our eyes as my friend parked the car in front of a huge residence, where the music was so loud we could watch the windows vibrating with every single beat.

'Tucson's house. We're here, pals'.

We walked along the neatly laid tile path to the front door, which was ajar. Once inside, I froze when I saw a crowd of ex-schoolmates totally out of control. And that's when I thought I was back in kindergarten, hoping my mother to come and pick me up as soon as possible. The idea of the new Lizard in front of all of these people terrified me, but (luckily) there was no going back.

'C'mon, Li. Let's get a drink!' yelled Helen as she took my hand 'Ask yourself: Will things ever be the same again?...' she winked her eye.

'... It's the final countdown, my friend' I gasped in her ear as she led me into the depths of the dancing horde.