Unlucky Janet

I had no experience in dates at all. Mom sometimes tried to be as didactic as possible, encouraging herself to explain the basics of gallantry to me. But ain't no recipe if the formula doesn't work. Imagine this wonderful Chemistry project when you combine the right reactives to make a bubbly explosion. 'Kaboom'. There is not much to think about. Just... be aware not to get harmed.

The problem is to start from the wrong formula. Don't get me wrong, it had barely nothing to do with the fact that she was a weird girl. But truth is that Janet was simply not the person I would choose to be my partner in life. To be honest, actually no girl would be chosen.

However, there I was. Being functional to the world one more time, doing some charity to make the land a better place. When Janet came to me the other day before school was over, I thought she needed some friendly advice or maybe someone to hang with. But i was not even close to prepared to her date proposal. I guess I said yes for the same reason I did every single time a girl walks into my life: cowardly.

My thoughts were interrupted by the bell ringing fiercely downstairs at the same time Griffy started to bark at the main door. She was a tiny hyperactive dog with lots of energy to be spent in spoiling people and crunching every single thing that was on her way. Lucky dog. She was free today to misbehave as she pleased while I was walking to the entrance in order to meet my not so-hot date.

'You look gorgeous' I said trying to dissemble my lack of motivation. She was pretty, that was true. But she had that kind of beauty you may relate to a sister or a cousin. Or even an old lady.

'Thank you' Janet tried to look everywhere but into my eyes as a sign of teenage shyness. She reminded me to an old friend of mine. I was so close to her. The only difference is that the lass in front of me wanted to take me to the altar as soon as possible.

Janet's family was deeply religious. She wasn't allowed to went out at night (even though I knew she used to sneak out) and it was mandatory for her to wear long dark skirts to avoid any kind of masculine temptation. So, if I was the one to her, she surely was thinking about all the children we will conceiving together. The only idea to think about it gave me chills.

The day was spectacular and so do the neighborhood. Unfortunately, some of my neighbors turned several times to appreciate the hysterical show which consisted in the Virgin Mary and I, as she held me by my arm and rested her head on my shoulder.

My patience was about to collapse. I really couldn't stand such scenery, full of repression and hypocrisy. I was bottoming. But I was done this time with myself and I had to take care of my responsibilities.

When Unlucky Janet stared at me at the time I told her to stop in the middle of the park we were in, she thought that maybe I was taking this date further (and I did).

'I think I like boys' I said for the first time in my entire life. To an almost complete stranger. However, it felt like a deep breath of fresh air, only interrupted by Unlucky Janet's moans. She was as shocked as disappointed, but it seemed that she was not that much into me as I thought.

'I will never get laid before college' she sobbed as she started to run away as fast as her skirt allowed her.

Okay. My thoughts exactly. It's the worse coming out story ever. But for me was a big first step and I foresaw that the best was yet to come.