Trust the bully

When we were walking towards the end of the backyard, it was like a weird deja-vu . Mark had been used to tease everybody since we were at elementary school, tending to cheat his victims in order to carry out all sorts of pranks. Although this situation was clearly different, I couldn't help feeling like a kid facing trouble.

The house's owner walked haughtily before me. His body was wiggling in such an appealing way that it inhibited me more than usual. I never encouraged myself to talk to a guy I liked and the defeatist part of me knew I hadn't got even the slightest chance to get his attention. He wasn't even making contact with me in any way. Then I reminded of Helen's issue and shook my head. Even though he didn't open his mouth in the short hike, I couldn't continue until I was told where the heck were we going.

'Hey... Mark...' My voice trembled more than usual.

'Yeah? We're almost there.' Mark answered shortly.

'Okay, but you haven't even told me what had happened with Helen.' I murmured as we reached a bushy area.

'You'll see. That rat won't be leaving this house so easily.' He seemed a bit angry and things became even more confusing.

'Rat? But hey, wh-' He put his index finger on my mouth for a few seconds and I blushed instantly.

'Hush. Trust me.' He said in a whisper as he made his way into a bunch of bushes.

I followed him without even thinking and then I suddenly made myself an idea of what was going on. We were surrounded by a circle of dense plants with abundant foliage, which formed a tiny den in the middle. There were three guys in there: two of them were standing with their arms crossed while the other was sitting on a log. I could tell he was slightly shivering, keeping his head down.

'Tried to escape more than once.' One of the hunky guys approached Mark and he gave him a friendly pat on the shoulder. 'But we could stop him.'

'Fine.' Mark stared for a moment at the one on the log and then addressed to me. 'Lizard. Do you know who he is?'

'I couldn't quite tell.' I was really scared so I decided not to make many questions and answered straight forward. 'Not with his head down.'

So Mark made a gesture with his hand to the other one standing, who grabbed the guy by the arm and made him stood. The I suddenly realized the whole thing. That tormented face was difficult to forget.

'He is Thomas Grill. Helen's ex... boyfriend.' They had never dated formally, but I couldn't find a better term to use. My friend had some terrible problems with him in the past. Thomas is a farfetched dude with an vast violence record. 'They haven't spoke since the day he almost slapped my friend in front of her family. Don't know why he came back.' I was getting even more angry.

'She texted me.' Thomas said with a half smile on his face, as he was enjoying the situation. His face was covered with scars and both of his eyes were swollen like he was beaten not so long ago.

'And you even came by?' Mark was almost as irritated as I was, like he was friend of Helen's. 'I do not tolerate this kind of male chauvinism in my house.'. I couldn't helped but being impressed with him even more. Something in him had changed.

'What we should do to him them?' The guy who was holding him up frowned as he stared at Thomas. 'We ought to break a rib or two...'

'What do you think, Liam?' Mark didn't even looked at me when he asked so.

'Let's call the Police. Do not hurt him even more.' I had never liked any kind of violence, being a convinced that everything can be solved in a peaceful and civilized way. 'Please, leave this jerk to them.'

'But...' Now Mark was looking at me like he couldn't understand my answer. 'Don't you think this asshole needs a lesson after what he has done to your friend?'

'Don't play his game. Please.' I meant every single word, even though I was clearly pissed. My deep wild part wanted to kill Thomas immediately.

'Mark... Do not pay any mind of what this twerp is saying and lets get started...' The other dude was looking at me as I had done the worse thing ever.

'Yeah.' The one holding Thomas shook him a bit. 'You'll screech as a rat...'

'C'mon! Let's call the Police.' I insisted due to the imminent drubbing.

'Do as he says.' Mark said to the two hunks as he crossed his arms and looked directly at my direction. I could perceive certain complicity on his eyes. 'Just be careful and don't let him be in any kind of contact with Helen until the Police arrives.'

''kay. What a spoilsport!' said the two jocks in unison as they left between the foliage holding Thomas by his forearms.

Then just Mark and I were inside that fortress surrounded by bushes. I could hear the party noises at the other side of the humongous lot, which made me think I had to find Robert, look for Helen and leave this house as soon as possible.

'Thank you, Mark... Now, I think I should be going...' I said to him as he sat on the same log Thomas was kept sit.

'Hey... I was wondering... Would you mind staying a bit with me in here? I'll like to chat since we haven't seen each other in a while...' Then he saw the hesitating expression on my face and moved a bit to one side to left me a little part of the seat. 'C'mon. Trust the bully.' He laughed a bit showing his beautiful smile to me.

Mark's being really nice but didn't know why he has brought me here. And now he's even smiling, looking really handsome under the moonlight.