Chapter 36

The two rankers gaped at their surroundings.

Elva had led them to massive building that towered over the bustling city. The building was made of wood with its bark still intact; it seemed like the walls were grown straight from the ground. Vines and creepers draped and climbed almost lazily over the walls, being sure to avoid the glassless windows. Right in the front was a door that rivalled that of the throne room in Aera. It was the very definition of huge, and left hanging open to let anyone in.

"I think it's safe to assume that the young ones are in awe, dear sister," Twila whispered loudly to Elva, receiving a deep chuckle in reply. Their heckling brought Rosalie out of her stupor. The girl took in every detail with a smile plastered on her face.

"This is beautiful," she said in an awestruck voice.

Twila nudged the two humans. "We do not want to keep the Queen waiting, young ones." Corvin let out a low whistle before following after his companions, who had started walking into the open doorway.

Many of the Fae inside stopped what they were doing to examine the newcomers, particularly Rosalie. Indiscreet whispers reached her ears, most of which being 'is that her?' Ro didn't mind; in fact, she didn't care at all. She was too busy trying to see everything she could in the cathedral-like interior.

Ro giggled at a realization. "You guys really like plantlife, don't you?" she asked the two protectors. "It's practically everywhere. Even the ceilings!"

True to her word, a leafy 'canopy' formed the ceiling, still following the arches and columns. Little splashes of color from varied flower blooms caught her eye as well.

Corvin smiled at the delighted look on her face.

"Love, you're going a little crazy over this," he said, slipping his hand into hers. He leaned over to her ear. "People are staring," he whispered.

"People always stare," she scoffed. "Twila, when will we meet the Queen?"

"Right now, actually," a voice said.

The four looked ahead where a tall woman stood regally with an amazonian stature, standing at nearly seven and a half feet. Her skin was pale green, and would've looked sickly on any other person. Flaming red hair fell down her back and ended mid thigh, sporting untamed curls and waves. Ro had to stifle a giggle at the literal bird's nest she had, along with the flowers, leaves, and twigs. Her fully black eyes seemed almost warm, and held a soft kindness despite the color.

At least she has on clothes...kind of, Rosalie thought, admiring the pretty robe-like dress that flowed to the floor gracefully. Cream colors look good on her.

The enchanting woman walked briskly to the group, a benevolent smile gracing her pleasant features. "Princess Rosalie," the Queen said, her voice smooth like honey. "We finally meet, young one."

The Queen took the princess's hands gently, as if she was afraid they would shatter at her touch. "I've been dying to meet you since I first heard about the Fae," Rosalie smiled brightly. "There are so many questions I have about you and your culture and society as a whole, really. Like how the concept of the 'fair folk' reached back to Earth, or how the buildings are made, or what your name is-"

Corvin took a sharp inhale of breath at the girl's last question. Twila and Elva had a similar reaction, but the Queen merely laughed.

"Young one, you have so many questions. Gaius was correct to warn of me of your insatiable curiosity," the Queen interrupted.

Ro shrugged, already liking the Queen immensely. "Well, curiosity killed the cat," the girl said nonchalantly.

"I- what?" the fae asked, confused at the saying.