Chapter 1

Rosalie looked off the balcony, taking in the sight. A huge sprawling forest was below her. Since she was at the back of the castle, she couldn't see the city, even though she knew it was there. Wait, a castle. A castle? The castle, she thought, confused. Shaking her head, she turned to see a man and woman standing at the door, gazing at her lovingly. Her heart ached when she noticed them.

The woman had long honey blonde hair that tumbled down her back in graceful waves, much like Rosalie's own; a gentle smile was set on her face. Her companion had light hair and laugh lines all over his face. What stood out most were his violet eyes. They were the same eyes Rosalie saw every day when she looked in a mirror.

She knew them, but she couldn't quite place them. Unable to resist any longer, she threw herself into their arms, sobbing desperately. A hand lifted her chin. Blue and violet eyes filled to the brim with love stared at her. The woman brushed away her own tears and let out a small laugh before embracing Rosalie once more. "Dear, wake up now,"she said. "You're going to be late for rehearsal. Ro, come on."

ε

Ro shot up with a gasp. Her face and pillow were damp with tears she hadn't realized she'd shed. A squinty look at the clock told her she overslept again. With a groan, Rosalie fell back onto her bed to shove her face into a pillow. After feeling around on her nightstand, she picked up her glasses and sat up.

Her bedroom wall was covered in so much artwork, one could hardly tell the wall underneath was a light peach color; she liked it that way. Ro felt the need to look at her room, taking in every detail, from the cream colored vanity to the overly cluttered dresser. Sighing, she went to her clothes basket.

"Where...is it?" she muttered. Digging around proved fruitless. "Mom!" she yelled, poking her head out her door, "where did you put all my shorts?!"

"In your dresser, where they're supposed to go," came the muffled response. Ro pulled out every drawer until she found her favorite pair of highwaisted shorts with a white crop top to go on, too. After pulling her hair into a ponytail and brushing her straight cut bangs forward, she left her room to follow the smell of bacon and eggs.

The kitchen window was open to let in the late spring breeze. Her mother was standing in front of the stove. Bacon sizzled deliciously in the pan. Ro practically ran in, trying to grab some toast and run out again before her mother noticed.

"Nuh uh, missy," she said, not even turning around. "You aren't leaving here without a good breakfast."

Rosalie grunted and sat across from the toddler currently throwing dry fruit loops everywhere. He babbled incoherently, opting to chew on the bowl instead of the food. "Nice one, kiddo," she said under her breath. A plate full of eggs and bacon was slid in front of her, which she unceremoniously shoveled into her mouth. "Did dad already go to work?" she asked.

Her mother sat down in between her two children and sighed. "Don't talk with your mouth full." Ro shrugged. "And yes, he did," her mother answered, digging into her own food. "What are you doing today?"

"I got a full dress rehearsal today, which I'm now late for, then after that there's my art club meeting, and tonight I'm spending the night at Tiff's place," Rosalie rushed.

"I don't remember approving of a sleepover," she said sternly.

"You said I could a few days ago since me and Tiff have our history project," Ro said hastily. "Besides, she's only a few buildings down. I'll be fine."

Another sigh. "Alright, I guess," her mother conceded. "By the way, you're now really late." A quick glance at the clock made Rosalie jump up. She kissed her mother on the cheek, grabbed her bag and ukulele case. Giving her brother a noogie to make him giggle, she ran for the window. "And I hope you aren't planning on going down the fire escape," he mother said threateningly.