Chapter 11

Two weeks had gone by in a blur. No one but those who had witnessed the confrontation knew who Rosalie really was, and she liked it like that. Even still, she got a reputation in all her classes for being prodigy, despite being far from the truth. She worked harder than she should've, but she wasn't one to quit.

Ro spent most of her time learning more than was required, training more than was required, and not sleeping as much as required. After she had fallen asleep standing in the middle of Swordplay, Lilith had to stage an intervention.

"Girl, you need to chill out," said Lilith, going so far as to confiscate her schoolbooks. "You're starting to worry me, and that's a hard feat."

"Lil, I'm fine, I promise," Ro said, or she would had she not fallen asleep the second she sat down. She was snapped out of it. "Come on, Lilith. Really. It's the weekend, and I have a test in Demon Studies 1 on monday."

"And you already know so much that you could ace a test for Demon Studies 4," her roommate chided. "Don't make me take away your blades, too."

Ro gasped. "You wouldn't!"

"Watch me! I'll even get your boyfriend in on it," she snapped back. "He's so worried about you that he actually talked to me earlier."

Rubbing her eyes, Ro stood up. "He's not my boyfriend, and you know it."

"That's not what's important."

"Ugh, I'm too tired to deal with this," Ro wearied.

"That's exactly what I'm talking about," Lilith hissed, folding her arms against her chest. "Now you are going to lay on that bed and sleep all weekend, even if I have to sit on you the entire time. I might not look it, but all of my chubbiness is muscle."

Groaning, Ro fell back on her bed. "You don't understand," she whispered. "I have so much to live up to. I have so many people to protect and serve, and one slip up could end up in lives lost."

Lilith sat laid on her back next to Ro. "Girl, you have no idea. Just please, take it easy. You still have four more years to get through after this, and you'll learn everything you need," she said. "If you won't sleep for most of it, at least rest. Don't train or study. Go for a walk. Hang out with your boyfriend. Make some friends other than me. Try something annnnnd she's asleep." Lilith sighed and got up.

She moved Rosalie into bed better, making sure to take off her roommate's glasses and cover her up. "Night, loser," she whispered, turning out the lights.

ε

Rosalie woke up more refreshed than she ever felt before. Maybe I should listen to Lilith more often. She looked over to where she expected to see a snoring Lilith, but was greeted by the sight of an empty bed. Glancing at the clock, she knew she slept later than she would've liked, but nine-thirty on a weekend wasn't that bad.

She groaned and sat up. The morning sunlight filtered through the thin cover Lilith put up over the window, basking the room in a warm glow. "What should I do today?" she said to an empty room. Getting dressed is a good idea. Jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers were the choice for today. She knew she'd get strange looks, but it wasn't like she wasn't used to it by then. Ro got up to leave the room, but had a gut feeling that she should bring her swords today.

Just in case, she thought, not being one to ignore her instincts. Strapping on her blades and making sure the chain with her room key was secured around her neck, she left the dorm. It was a nice day for a walk, but she wanted to see Corvin. It had been a few days since they last got a chance to hang out.