Chapter 19

A/N: There will be some violence later in the chapter. Nothing graphic, but it might mess with some readers.

ε  

Ro sighed at Corvin's explanation. They had been back at school for two days, each ranker sorely missing their vacation. "The trials," she repeated. "So I get to fight a few hundred students in one day and defend my title. Nice." There was nothing nice about it. She was unenthusiastic about the next day. "So what are the rules for this shindig?"

Corvin cocked an eyebrow at the word 'shindig' but ignored it. "The challenger chooses if the duel is for weaving, weapons, or both," he continued. "Each duel only has five minutes. If the challenger lasts past the five minute mark, the referee will call it a tie and a proper duel between the two will be set up for a later date. Most people don't last more than three minutes against us."

"Do you know what the fastest time a challenger won is?"

"Six seconds."

Her eyes went wide. "Who did that?"

"Deidra," came the nonchalant reply.

She rolled her eyes. "Of course."

"You don't seem very surprised at that," he joked. "Deidra is a monster and the last person I want to meet in battle. You're the only person who's come close to that."

"Aw, you're scared of me! That's so sweet," she cooed, snuggling deeper in his arms. She pointed a finger at the fireplace, igniting the wood already set up. "Can other rankers challenge each other like this?"

He shook his head and laughed at Ro's disappointed face. "No, because any duel between ranks will most definitely last more than five minutes. Why, are you trying to take first rank from Deidra? You'll have to pry it from her cold dead fingers, if that's the case," he answered.

"No, I was thinking of fighting you."

"That would last more than an hour, let alone five minutes," he said.

An impish smirk played on her features. "Wanna bet?"

"You don't have anything I want."

"Oh really? I'm quite sure that a lie."

He rolled his eyes. "Wow, Ro. You caught me. I've always wanted to steal your copy of the Iliad."

"You'll have to pry that from my cold dead fingers, mister," she growled playfully. "Now get out. It's late, and I wanna go to bed."

A hand rested on his chest in mock hurt. "You wound me, my love," he whined. A goofy smile came easily when she started giggling at him. Corvin leaned down and gave her a small kiss on her cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow, Rosalie."

"See you tomorrow," she said, watching him leave her room.

ε

"Okay, who's first in line?" Ro called out to the line that began forming. Her battle circle wasn't as large as she had expected, but it would work. When no one came up, she sighed. "Seriously, guys. You literally signed up for this."

"I'll go first."

"Great! Come on- oh," Ro cut herself off when she saw who spoke. "Lucila."

"Your highness," Lucila said venomously. "I hope to take your place after this."

Rosalie rolled her eyes. "Yea, sure," she said nonchalantly. "It's not like I didn't cheat my way into the ranks and won the position based on my skill alone. I know the rumors you've been spreading, so there's no use trying to act innocent." Lucila tried to shoot out an angry retort, but Ro cut her off. "Cast, blade, or both?"