Chapter 4

"Your highness?" a voice called. Rosalie groaned and rolled over, shielding her eyes from the lamps that burned brighter once she stirred.

"What?" Ro eloquently slurred. She sat up and rubbed her eyes only to see a blurry figure standing by the bed. All at once the memories came flooding back to her. "Oh. Yea," she grumbled.

"Your highness, I will be your ladies maid," said the voice again. "His majesty asked that you be dressed for dinner and brought to the secondary dining area."

Ro nodded, still groggy from her nap. "Yea, yea, that's all well and good," she started, feeling around the bed, "but I can't see anything."

"Pardon me, your highness, but what do you mean?" the maid asked.

"I can't find my glasses," Ro said bluntly. "And can you cut back on the whole "your highness" thing, at least when we're in private. I'm still not used to all of this." To accentuate her point, she gestured wildly around her.

That brought a chuckle to the maid's lips. "Of course, your- sorry," she said. "My name is Myrtle. What should I call you instead?"

"By my name, preferably," Ro joked. She was staring at the wall, giving up on seeing details. "Uh, glasses? Please? I really am blind without them." Myrtle put something in Ro's hand. "Thank you, Myrtle." Once the world around her was clear again, she sighed. "What's with the whole "getting dressed for dinner" thing? I don't exactly have anything other than a tshirt and leggings and what I'm wearing, of course."

Myrtle gave a little smile. "I suppose you haven't looked in the closet yet, have you?" Ro shook her head. "We- that is, a few other maids and I- brought all of your mother's old dresses and clothes for you to wear." With that being said, she walked over to a set of doors Ro hadn't noticed in her first look around her rooms. The swung out, revealing a large walk in closet; she let out a gasp at all the gowns, shoes, and jewelry displayed around her.

Walking farther in, she noticed a long case with three glittering tiaras sitting on a bed of velvet. "So all of this... is for me?" she said, disbelief etched in her features. She walked along the wall, letting her hand brush against the plethora of fabric. "It'll take me years to wear all of this even once," Ro said, awestruck. Chuckling, she turned to Myrtle. "A different dress for every day. But a lot of these seem a little, well, over the top. Please tell me there are some everyday clothes somewhere in this abyss of glitter and lace."

The maid laughed and nodded her head. "Yes, of course. I think you'll look best in this one," she said, pulling out a simple olive green dress. It had white lace trim along the bottom of a flowing skirt. Luckily, it didn't look like it would impede Rosalie's stride; she had a habit of speed walking everywhere. "Now, if you please, undress."

"Oh...kay?"

ε

Myrtle offered to lead her to the dining room, but Rosalie turned it down. She felt it was a simple enough path that she shouldn't get lost; she didn't count on people walking the halls. Everywhere she went, people stared. How could they not? Rumor had already spread throughout the castle like a plague. Passing the intersection, a man spotted her and ran to stop her.

"Excuse me, my lady, but are you her?" he asked.

"Depends on who her is," Rosalie answered wryly. The man looked only a few years older than her, with long, black curly hair pulled back from his face with a white ribbon. His features were pleasant enough, as a curious smile graced his face. The most interesting part was his amber eyes, like that of a tiger.