Chapter 21

"Hey Twila," Ro said, letting her tie hang loose around her neck. "Why weren't you mad at me for yesterday? And I didn't see you at all, even though I knew you were there."

Twila stretched leisurely and hopped off the bed. "Because I was busy." Ro gave her a skeptical look. "There was another demon lurking around. I knew all of them were there, but I also knew you needed a chance to prove yourself," the cat said.

"I thought the whole Pont incident proved enough," Ro grumbled. "If you knew, why didn't you tell me? What happened to the sixth demon?"

"I took care of it."

Ro rolled her eyes. "If you were any more vague, I'd have to start calling you Oogway," she muttered. A knock at the door interrupted her questioning. "Come in!"

Alicia poked her head in the door. "Hey, there's someone at the door for you," she said. Ro didn't trust the mischievous glint in her eye. "You better hurry, I don't think he can wait down there much longer."

"I'm coming, just let me tie this," she said.

A moment later, Ro was bounding down the steps to the front door. She cocked an eyebrow at the other rankers 'acting natural' around the living room and entryway. Alicia and Elwood were looking thoughtfully at a book, which she assumed they didn't realize was upside down. Diedra sat in her chair and followed Ro with her eyes while Corvin stood leaned against the wall with his arms crossed. Vida and Thad were busy 'arguing' about what type of blade was better while Byron pointed out facts to hold up both sides. Shooting a suspicious glare at them, she opened the door.

Will stood on the steps with a small bouquet of wildflowers grasped tightly in his hands. He looked shocked that she had opened the door herself. She fought the urge to shut the door in his face. "Oh- um." He cleared his throat and stood a little straighter. "Princess Ro-"

"Just Rosalie," she said, already irritated with this encounter.

"Rosalie. I have come to ask if I may escort you to the Peace Day Ball next Saturday," he said, holding the flowers out to her. She looked at him for a moment, trying not to laugh in case he was being serious.

After another moment of awkward silence, she frowned. He's being serious. By the gods, she thought, obviously conflicted. Ro smiled and straightened up, realizing she still hadn't answered. "I didn't know there would be a ball for Peace Day," she lied.

Deidra scoffed. "Of course you wouldn't know," she said, calling her out. "It's not like you didn't read that book about holidays and noteworthy occasions in this world just last week." Ro blushed in embarrassment, trying to figure out another way to weasel out of it.

She didn't want to just flat out tell him no, but she also wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. Corvin shuffled to her left as if waiting for her answer. Don't make this any harder, she thought, sending a warning glance to him just in case. "Oh, well, I wasn't planning on going to any balls," Ro said.

"All the rankers are required to come!" Alicia sang from the living room.

"And they have to bring someone along," Byron said. "Alicia and I are going together to avoid asking anyone else."

A few confirmations rose up from her friends. Ro sighed in defeat. "Let me think about it?" she asked hopefully. Will's face fell some, but he nodded.

"Of course your- Rosalie. Of course, Rosalie," he said. Moving jerkily, he shoved the flowers in her hand and ran off the front steps. The second they were in her hand, Ro sneezed twice. The door was closed in her purple cast as she glared at her friends.