Chapter 16

She woke up to pale sunlight filtering through the curtains and an empty bed. Ro sat up in confusion. Where did he go? Throwing off the covers, she pulled herself up and out of bed. And onto Corvin's stomach.

"Uh, what are you doing on the floor?" she asked him.

He grunted and did another sit up, moving her feet off. "I'm excercising. Obviously," he answered.

"And you're doing it on the floor by the bed where I can step on you," Ro deadpanned. "You're a genius." He laughed and sat up all the way.

"I need your help," Corvin said suddenly. He flipped onto his stomach into push-up position. "Sit on my back."

Ro sighed, but did as he said. "You're going to regret this later." He smirked and pushed up without any trouble.

"Am I really? You're as light as a feather," he chuckled.

She huffed and crossed her arms, still perched on his back. "It's rude to ask a lady how much she weighs, and it's even ruder still to comment on it," she retorted. "Besides, you're an impossible person. I'm 170 pounds of muscle, and you're doing this easily." He shrugged, making her throw up her hands in defeat. "And you just shrugged. While doing push-ups with 170 extra pounds. You're impossible."

"I thought I was going to regret this," he said nonchalantly. "Normally I have Deidra sit on me while I do this, but you weigh more than her anyway. I wanted to push my limits."

"There you go with the commenting on a lady's weight again." She sniffed with mock disdain. "How do I weigh more than Deidra?"

"She has Fae blood," he explained. "Her grandmother is an air nymph, so I guess lightness runs in the family."

Ro shrugged. "Are you done yet?"

"No, I still have about five hundred more to go," he joked.

"I'm done with you," she said, climbing off his back.

"Wow, that was a weight off my shoulders," Corvin said, standing up. She groaned at his joke, pushing him onto the bed and walking out of the room. "It's okay, Ro; I still love you!" he called after her. She laughed and sauntered into the kitchen.

Vida was at the stove again, standing in front of a huge pan of cooking eggs. "Good morning," Ro called cheerfully. The fourth ranker glanced up, but didn't return the cheery greeting.

"Good morning, Rosalie," Twila said. "I hope you're not hungry, because Elwood already ate an entire plate of eggs and bacon. There might not be much left in there." She nodded over to the dining area, where Rosalie could hear Alicia and Elwood chattering with their mouths full. I can't understand a word they're saying, but apparently they can, she thought with amusement.

"I'll go see what scraps they left for the rest of us, but I can wait a little longer," she said. Making her way inside, she noticed Alicia's 'friend' from the night before. The girl looked a little overwhelmed to be surrounded by five of the eight top students. "Good morning," she said, sitting by the stranger. "We met last night, but you were a bit preoccupied with Alicia. What's your name?"

The girl looked shocked by her situation as a whole. "Oh, uh. My name's Roma," she said quietly. "Nice to meet you..."

"Rosalie," she said, holding out her hand to shake it. She was left hanging awkwardly. "Right, the whole handshake thing is...uh, well, whatever." Ro sighed and started piling eggs onto her plate. "I'm surprised Elwood left anything more than scraps." Roma stared at Rosalie in horror. "Uh, are you okay?"