Chapter 35

"I'm proud of you," Twila said from her spot on Ro's horse. "You are quite the force of nature when you want to be."

"I'm just glad that I won't ever be on the opposite end of your blade," Corvin commented. Ro laughed.

"You can still get on my bad side," she said, nudging him since they were riding side by side.

"I'm glad that you're such a good person," Ava stated plainly. "We'd all die if you weren't. Think about it! You could go on a killing spree, and it would take the entirety of the elites to take you down, maybe even more."

The girl grimaced at her sure statement. "I don't think I'm that powerful..." she said.

Crow laughed humorlessly. "But you are," he said. "You could take over even the demon realm with your wit and strength alone."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Since when have you been so confident in my abilities?" she said, not bothering to hold back her annoyance.

He shrugged. "Your ability to fight and outsmart any opponent, yes, but your ability to run the kingdom better than your father and uncle have? Not so much."

"Gee, don't try to sugarcoat it," Elliot deadpanned.

"I'll be sure to remember that, McKnight," Crow sneered.

Ava sighed and gently shook her head. "I'm sorry about them, your highness," she said to Ro. "They've got a stupid rivalry going on since-"

"It isn't stupid!" the two men yelled.

"Whatever. Just behave in front of the princess," Ava hissed at them.

Ro smiled at Ava. "You can call me Rosalie if you'd like," she offered.

"Rosalie," Ava said, giving the girl a sincere smile. "It's a beautiful name, one that fits you in every way." The blush on Ro's face was apparent. She tried to stammer a reply, but Corvin beat her to it.

"I agree," he said. "'That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.'"

Reaching over to punch his shoulder playfully, Ro laughed. "You're such a cheesy dork," she said. "And I thought you didn't like Romeo and Juliet."

"I don't," Corvin answered, leaning over to shove her gently. "But I like that line. Besides, you're the one who lent me Shakespeare."

"Because you were interested in Earthen literature. You're lucky Fausta managed to grab my copy when she went down there," Ro countered.

He looked at her with a goofy smile. "Have I mentioned that I love you?"

"Several times, but another time won't hurt," she laughed.

Crow groaned behind them, then he grunted. "Why did you elbow me?" he asked Ava.

"You're a grumpy old man, but even you have to admit that they're cute together," she said firmly. Ro and Corvin looked away sporting blushes, but sent each other little smiles anyway.

Twila shifted around to look at the others as they came to a fork in the road split by a huge oak tree that looked to be nearly 600 years old. "I'm afraid this is where we part ways," she said. "You can take the horses back with you, as we'll be going on foot."

Ro and Corvin got off and said goodbye to the three knights. Twila, who had shifted to her natural form, stood at the roots of the tree waiting for them. "Are you both ready to enter Fae land?" The two rankers nodded. "Then follow me."

The cat turned and walked directly into the tree, disappearing into the bark. Rosalie and Corvin stood there looking after her for a moment before her head popped out again. "Well? Are you coming?"