Chapter 8

"-or I could use a red satin; it would make it easier for you to stand out in the crowd," said the seamstress. "This is your party, after all." She's still talking, Ro thought, horrified. Dear god, my mind is melting.

"What about a pale yellow?" chimed Myrtle, seeing her lady's obvious discomfort. "The color compliments her eyes, and her hair is dark enough for it to work." The seamstress nodded, writing it down in a small notebook. After a few minutes, she had a sketch of the design.

The first thing that caught Ro's eye was the train. "Uh, how long were you gonna make that...?"

"Yes, it'll be royal length."

"Which is?"

"Ten feet long," the woman said nonchalantly. Rosalie's eyes went wide.

"Do you expect me to walk with that?" Ro said incredulously. The seamstress nodded. "No. I'm not really particular on the style and color or anything, but this is where I step in," she said. "I'm letting you do your job of making me look royal, but it's a ball. Everyone is going to be stepping on your hard work, or worse, I'll mess it up. A train is okay, but please be reasonable."

"That was just an idea, but you are right," the woman agreed. "My apologies, your highness. Now, back to the design..." And here's my que to zone out. She continued to look at the sketch, thinking it would be a beautiful gown. It was off the shoulder with a small dip in the middle of the neckline. The skirt would be full and flowing. If the seamstress made it yellow, she'd look something like Belle. Then it really would be a disney movie, Ro thought idly. Corvin could be the beast, but he's too handsome. Hold on, Ro. Don't go there. That's a dangerous line of-

"Please stand, your highness, so I can get your measurements," she said. Five minutes later, Rosalie was alone. The seamstress had finished, and Myrtle left since Ro didn't need anything.

Sighing, Ro sat in one of the chairs in her study. Wow, she thought. I could probably fall asleep like this. Before she could act on that, a knock came from her door. Ro groaned and pulled herself up.

"Yes? Lady Haley!" Ro smiled. Her kidnapper, as Ro so fondly called the twins, stood in training clothes.

"Since young Corvin went back to the school, Gaius has asked me to help you train for the coming weeks," Fausta explained. "And please, call me Fausta."

"Only if you call me Rosalie."

"Deal," Fausta smiled. "Now get ready. I've heard you're quite a beast with twin swords, and I'm ready to test it."

ε

Training with Fausta was simple, but effective. They stretched and did warm ups for twenty minutes, did ten laps around the training yard, then sparred with fists or weapons. Despite her oddly natural talent, she still had room for improvement. "Everyone does," Fausta reasoned. Sometimes she fought against the other soldiers in the yard; she won nearly every time through her quick wit.

Her week went by surprisingly fast. Every day, she woke up, had breakfast with her uncle, trained with Fausta, then retired to her room to freshen up and do whatever she felt like. Most of her free time was spent learning more about her kingdom and practicing control of power.

By the end of the week, she could effectively levitate medium sized objects, like books, for nearly half an hour. If she put effort into it, she could lift her vanity for two minutes. Healing came easily to her as well. Myrtle had dropped a glass, cutting her hand. Ro was able to heal it with hardly any trace of a cut left over. She wanted to practice further, but purposefully slicing open her maid's hand wasn't something Ro would do.