Chapter 2

The first thing Rosalie noticed was how incredibly dizzy she was. She would've fallen over completely had Fausta not held her upright. The second thing she noticed was that she still had her ukulele gripped tight, which made her feel slightly smug. Once the world stopped spinning under her feet, she gasped.

They were standing in the hallway of a castle. The ceiling arched beautifully thirty feet above their heads. Huge windows flanked their left, bathing the hall in sunlight. Polished marble floors were underfoot; longs veins of black, gray, and white flowed through the stone like rivers, adding to the grandeur. Behind them was a huge dark oak door with intricate carvings and inlaid with gold.

What really caught Ro's attention were the paintings. Hanging on the wall to the right were numerous paintings, all showing men and women sporting violet eyes. Gasping, she walked up to the one nearest to the doors. It was of a man and woman, both wearing crowns and sitting regally. He had light hair and violet eyes, while the woman had honey blonde waves and blue eyes that nearly sparkled, despite it being paint. A gold plaque was set underneath.

"King Odilon Atilius Céleste and Queen Selene Aelia Céleste"

Ro's vision started to go blurry. She felt her face, not knowing why she was crying. Wiping her face quickly, she turned to face her kidnappers. "Where are we?" she said, not bothering to hide the anger in her voice.

Fausta looked away from the piercing glare. Raoul stared back. "We're in the Old World, or, as we call it, home," he answered. "You'll know all in time. Please, let us go into the throne room." They both walked towards the huge doors.

Not knowing what else to do, Rosalie begrudgingly followed them after settling her bag on her shoulders better. The two armored guards looked shocked when they saw her eyes and banged on the doors behind them. One massive door slowly swung into what she assumed was the throne room, seeing as how it had a large gilded throne sitting at the end. It reminded her vaguely of the pope's chair.

The throne room was truly impressive. The marble from the hallway followed through into the abnormally long room. One side of the room had windows in the same style as the others; a large glass door opened up onto a long balcony that spanned a third of the wall. An enormous skylight was set in the ceiling and went the entire length of the room. Red curtains went all the way up to the ceiling behind the throne. A painting of a forest seemingly teeming with life filled most of the other wall. If there was one word Ro would use to describe it, it would be 'big'.

Sitting lazily on the throne was a man with dusty brown hair. Rosalie could see his violet eyes from the other side of the room. A gold crown sat upon his head. Spotting the trio, he sat up and gestured for them to come closer. Fausta and Raoul kneeled at the steps leading to the throne. Ro continued to stand patiently.

"Please rise, Sir Haley, Lady Haley," the king said. "I assume you brought her because of the...search?" His voice was deep and soothing, smoother than the marble floor Rosalie stood on. He was staring at Ro, starting to make her uncomfortable. She started rocking back and forth on her heels and avoided his gaze by looking around the room again.

Obeying his command, Ro's kidnappers stood up. "Yes, your majesty," Raoul answered. "We found her on Earth, of all places. I was hunting a demon when I realized she could see me and the beast, despite my glamours."

"Hm. Interesting," the king replied. "Tell, me, what is your name, age, and birthday, child?"

"Who, me?" Rosalie answered dumbly. A nod urged confirmed her question. "Oh. My name is Rosalie Monroe. I'm 16 years old, and my birthday is on September 22nd." she answered. "Might I ask why I've been kidnapped and brought to this huge palace? Not that this place isn't cool and all, but I kinda wanna go home."