Chapter 9

Ro took one last look at her room and sighed. She was leaving that day for Equites Fortes, and she was a little sad to leave the place she had called home for a month. It wasn't like she would never see it again; she would probably come back every weekend to learn more about court proceedings and how to rule, but it wouldn't be the same.

Sitting next to her on the floor was a large trunk filled with what items she had to call her own from her time here. It was mostly books and day clothes. She also had three pairs of the school uniform. Other supplies, like school books, paper, and ink, would be given to her once she arrived. The makeup and art supplies she had shoved into her bag that fateful saturday were also packed in the trunk.

She held her ukulele in her hand, feeling nostalgic. It's been a month, but it feels like longer, she thought sadly. That month had been packed with learning. Her uncle had taught her what little dark weaving he could do, things like putting a glamour on her eyes to make them look like a different color. "It's always handy, and if you keep it up when you first get there, you'll be able to study in peace, at least for a while," he reasoned.

Speak of the devil, she thought. King Gaius was walking towards her, holding something behind her back. She narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "Rosalie, my dear," he sang. "I have something for you! No need to thank me, I already know I'm the best uncle in the realm." He held his hands out, showing off twin swords. Ro gasped and reached out for them.

The grips were a pale blue, with silver twisting around like vines to the silver pommels. Set in the cross guards were two small but inexplicably bright sapphires. Unsheathing one of the blades, she gaped at the sight. The fuller glinted an icy blue when she angled it in the light, as did the point and blade. Seeing the catch on one end, she sent down her ukulele and picked up both swords. They gave a satisfying click into place.

She stepped back and spun it around in her hands experimentally, smiling like a kid on Christmas. She unlatched the swords and put them back in the sheaths. After setting them down on her trunk, she tackled her uncle in a hug. "They're amazing, uncle G," she said, letting a few tears slip onto his shoulder. "Thank you." He returned the hug.

"It's nothing, really," he answered. "I was worried they wouldn't be ready in time, and I had to hunt down the smith who made the set you trained with. She was stubborn, but did it regardless," Gaius explained.

"This is too much, uncle G, really," Ro started, wiping a hand across her face, "...but I can't let a beautiful set like this go to waste sitting on a shelf." She picked them up again and marveled at the light weight. The scabbards were white with the same vine pattern pressed into the leather. "Where can I find a belt for these?"

He handed her one, simple white that matched the sheaths and grip. Ro smiled thankfully at her uncle. "Now off you go to the warp," Gaius said. "You don't want to be late for the placement test."

Ro stood on her toes and gave her uncle a kiss on the cheek. "I love you, uncle G," she said quickly.

Gaius laughed and waved her off. "I love you, too. Go on, now, and remember," he said impishly, "I'm taken."

ε

Rosalie walked through the castle halls with her trunk floating behind her in her magic. People pointed in awe, but she didn't pay them any mind. She had been practicing, and could pick up considerably more weight than her first week. It was like exercising a muscle; Fausta made sure to include her hold over weaving during their daily training sessions.

A guard pointed her in the direction of the warp crystal room. As she made her way there, more of the common people were walking around. Many of them gawked at the obvious feat of strength. Ro made sure to keep her eyes glamoured a bright green, obvious enough that no one knew she was the princess unless they had seen her with their own eyes before.