Chapter 5

Corvin looked at her for a moment before snickering under his breath. Ro blushed, not realizing she had said that out loud. The king glanced their way, smiling at their interaction. It seems that Corvin isn't as impassive as many make him out to be. Sparing a look for his friends, he saw that Lord and Lady Duarte made the same conclusion.

"Now, I think we would all do well to retire to the library," Gaius said, clapping his hands together once. As they all stood, Lady Duarte shot a meaningful look at Corvin and gesturing to Ro while her head was turned. Rolling his eyes, he offered Rosalie his arm.

"Oh, thank you, Corvin," she said, smiling his way. It's strange to be treated like a lady, she thought. Sleazeballs from high school have got nothing on nobility, as snobby as some are.

"My pleasure, your highness," he replied.

Ro frowned. "Please, don't call me that," she groaned. "I need to get into this whole royalty thing slowly, and I'd rather not have friends feel like they have to tiptoe around me for fear of my royal wrath." She waggled the fingers on her free hand, making him laugh again.

"If that's what makes you more comfortable," he said, stopping for a moment, "Rosalie." Hearing her name lifted a weight off her shoulders she hadn't realized she'd been carrying. They went back to walking; when they stopped, the adults and Ana had pulled ahead some, enough to be noticeable. "So, have you seen the library at all?"

"No, but I'm looking forward to spending time in it," she said, not bothering to hide the excitement in her voice. "I've always been partial to books, and now that I have a chance to learn more, and at my own pace, I'm practically chomping at the bit."

His eyes took on a mischievous glint, like he was privy to some secret she had no idea about. "I can say with certainty, that you won't disappointed." He smiled and looked ahead again.

The others had stopped for a moment outside a large wooden door, again, much like the throne room and dining room. It was open, letting a warm glow seep into the shadowed corridor. Rosalie could smell the paper and ink from where she was standing, her hands itching to turn pages. What she saw once she stepped inside made her gasp. She let her arm slip from Corvin's, walking into a large room filled with rows upon rows of shelves.

There was no empty space on the shelves. It made her happy to see that all the books were dusted and well-maintained. Nothing bothered her more than neglected books. Except maybe asparagus, she thought. The more she entered, the less she cared about her situation. She spotted a spiralling staircase tucked into one corner, leading to the upper level.

"This is...this is amazing..." she said, unable to fully articulate her joy.

"What's so amazing? It's just books," said Analiese. Ro's head turned to where the others had sat, giving Ana an utterly bewildered look.

"Just...books?" Ro stuttered. Gaius was holding back his laughter. "There is no such thing as just books. These," she gestured wildly at the room around them, "are history. These are knowledge. These are not, and never will be, just books. In this room is so much knowledge, just us two could solve every problem in the world without stepping outside that door." She leaned down and took Ana's hands in her own. "There is no such thing as just books," she repeated. She straightened up. "Hey uncle G, where would I find something on weavers? I want to know everything."

ε

Nearly half an hour later, Ro was sitting at one of the tables, four books open to seemingly random pages. Another three were stacked on the edge waiting to be read.