Chapter 10

The rest of swordplay went alright. Once Lady Duncan came back, they focused on reviewing some of what they learned the previous semester. They went over what they would be learning the next lesson. After class ended was lunch, which Rosalie was extremely happy to go to; the students were given an hour and a half for lunch, since their classes went for most of the day.

"Ro, do you feel like joining me for lunch?" Corvin asked as they walked away from the arena.

She shrugged. "Sure. It's not like I have anyone else to eat with," she answered. "Where's the lunchroom or cafeteria or whatever you call it?"

He smirked. "Well, most of us go back to the ranker dorm to eat."

"Us?"

"The top eight."

Ro sighed once she realized what they would be doing. "So I'm gonna be meeting all the rankers in one go?" He nodded. "Might as well get it over with," she conceded.

ε

He led the way to the dorms. Since they were the top students, the rankers had their own building. It reminded Rosalie of a fraternity or sorority, just mixed genders. Their building, Corvin had explained, had five floors. The first was a kitchen, living area, and dining room. The rest of the floors were divided according to rank, two ranks for each floor. Since he was ranked number two, he had the top floor with Diedra Blakely, who was the leader of them all.

Walking in, Ro noticed how lavish the place was. I guess being the best has its perks, she thought idly. Corvin led her to the dining room, where five people already sat around a table. "Hey! Ice queen!" shouted Elwood. He jumped up and wrapped Rosalie in a bear hug.

"Can't...breathe..." she gasped. Elwood dropped her as abruptly as he had picked her up.

"Sorry," he said. What a goofball, Ro thought with a smile. The other rankers present looked at her expectantly.

"Uh, hi," she started awkwardly. Her glamour was still up, luckily. "I'm Rosalie Monroe, Corvin's friend." She looked at Corvin, who had already sat down near the head of the table.

"Where's Will?" he asked.

A girl with pastel purple hair sitting at the head of the table was staring at Ro. "He's probably off trying to impress girls in the lunchroom," she said, not taking her eyes off Ro. "I'm Diedra Blakely, first ranker. Nice to meet you, your highness." Ro tensed. "You are the princess, are you not?"

Corvin and Ro answered at the same time. "No!" she said, while Corvin said "yes." Their eyes met and they switched answers. "Yes," she said, defeated, while Corvin let out a confused "no."

The table erupted into laughter. Diedra was still staring at Rosalie. She hasn't blinked at all, thought Ro, uncomfortable with the attention she was being given. "Yes, I am." She let her glamour drop. Alicia let out a dramatic gasp.

"I KNEW IT," she shouted. "I had a feeling you were hiding something! I even found a few books that I knew only the palace library had copies of!"

"You still shouldn't go through people's bags," Ro grumbled.

Corvin laughed. "Come on," he said, patting the seat next to him. "Since Will isn't here, you can take his normal spot." Ro sat down awkwardly. That's becoming the word of the day.

"So, what're all your names?" she said. It felt weird that she knew she was possibly going to replace one of the people sitting at the table at that moment.