Chapter 20

"Worthy... no... How could you be worthy? You're all killers."

I pulled a knife out of the lining of my skirt, ready to defend myself. Katherine took a gun out of her pocket.

"Stark, what is this?" I said, gripping my knife.

"JARVIS," Tony said.

"I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or... I was a dream." The thing said.

Tony tapped the device on his arm. "Reboot, Legionnaire OS, we got a buggy suit."

"There was a terrible noise," the thing said. "And I was tangled in... strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy."

"You killed someone?" Steve said. I gripped the knife tighter.

"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world we're faced with ugly choices."

"Who sent you?" Tony asked it.

"I see a suit of armor around the world," it said in Tony's voice.

"Ultron!" Banner said.

"In the flesh. Or, no, not yet. Not this...chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on a mission," the thing, Ultron, said.

"What mission?" Natasha said.

"Peace in our time." As he said that, the Iron Legion bots smashed through the walls and start attacking.

I groaned. "Of course."

Natasha jumped on top of one of the bots.

"Sorry!" I heard Banner say.

"Don't turn green!" Nat said.

"I won't!"

I ducked under one of the bots, grabbing my clothes from under the couch. "I'll be right back!" I ran to the bathroom and threw on my clothes, cracking my knuckles before going back out. I jumped back into the fight as Ultron took the scepter. Tony was trying to shut down one of the Iron Legions. I stabbed a few, cutting the wires enough to disable them.

"Stark!" Steve shouted.

"One sec, one sec!"

"We are here to help. We are here to help," the robot repeated. Tony was trying to shut it down. "We are here to help. It's unsafe. It's unsafe. It's unsafe."

"No more," Tony said, "that's the one." He shut it down as Clint threw Steve his shield.

"Cap!" He said. Steve dismembered the last robot.

"That was dramatic! I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to...evolve?" Ultron said. He picked up an arm. "With these? These puppets? There's only one path to peace: The Avengers' extinction."

I dug my nails into my hands. Thor threw his hammer at Ultron, destroying the body. I let my hands go and stuffed them in my pockets.