Chapter 14

We hid in the shadows by the building, waiting for Sitwell to exit. I was rubbing my wrists the entire time. When he finally came out, he was talking to a man named Senator Stern.

"Any constituent in particular, Mr. Senator?

"Uh...no, not really. Twenty-three, kind of hot. Real hot. You know, wants to be a reporter, I think. I don't know, who listens at that point?" the man said.

"Doesn't sound much of a problem to me."

"Really? Cause she's killing my back. Look, this isn't the place to talk about it." He touched a pin on Sitwell's jacket. "That's a nice pin."

"Thank you."

"Come here." They hugged and Stern whispered something in Sitwell's ear, then said, more loudly, "See that, right?"

"I just saw that, yeah," Sitwell replied. I scrunched my eyebrows up, confused as to what they were talking about.

"Should I get it checked?"

"I think so."

Stern walked away. "Okay, Sam," I whispered into the comm set.

Sitwell pulled out his phone. He turned to the men surrounding him. "I need a minute, bring the car around." He answered his phone, "Yes, sir."

"Agent Sitwell," I heard Sam say. "How was lunch? I hear the crab cakes here are delicious."

"Who is this?" Sitwell demanded.

"The good looking guy in sunglasses at your ten o'clock." I smirked as Sitwell looked around. "Your other ten o'clock." Sitwell looked around and saw Sam. "There you go."

"What do you want?"

"You're gonna go around the corner, to your right. There's a grey car, two spaces down. You and I are gonna take a ride."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because that tie looks really expensive." That was my queue. I took a powerful laser pointer and aimed the small red dot at his chest. "And I'd hate to mess it up," Sam said. I kept my hand on my gun just in case things went south.

Steve threw Sitwell across the rooftop. Nat, Kate, and I followed him.

"Tell me about Zola's algorithm," Steve demanded.

"Never heard of it."

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?"

"Throwing up. I get seasick."

"Lies," I said, stepping out from behind Nat. Steve pushed him to the edge as we got closer.

Sitwell smiled. "Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers."

"You're right," he said, stepping aside. "It's theirs," he said, nodding to me and Nat.

"Would you like the honors, Capello?"

"You know I would." I stepped closer. "Surely you know my reputation, Sitwell. Fury's favorite. The heartless bitch. And guess what? You got on my bad side." I showed him the marks on my wrists from the ties. "This was your fault, wasn't it? No, Pierce, no one will miss her. She's expendable. Right, Sitwell?"

"Uhm..."

I kicked him off the rooftop and he plummeted down, screaming the entire time.

"Oh, wait, what about that girl from accounting? Laura..." Nat said.

"Lillian," Steve corrected her. "Lip piercing, right?"

"Yeah, she's cute," Nat said.

"Yeah, I'm not ready for that."