Episode 21

"Since when have you been fucking her?" I repeat a bit slower this time.

"I'm not obliged to answer that," he cocks his head to the right and stares at me as though I had just asked him for his liver. "I don't owe you an answer."

"I'm sorry," I hold his hands but he flinches. "I was just asking out of curiosity. I'm not mad or upset if that's what you're worried about."

"I'm the one who should be mad and upset for crying out loud." he snickers at me. "You don't just ask someone a question like that, most especially if the guy isn't even yer boyfriend because it's not your fucking concern for fuck's sake."

"Why are you being so sensitive all of a sudden?"

"I'm not being sensitive, the way ye asked your question was just too damn disrespectful, Woman." Niall raises his voice and mutters something in Irish. He's probably cursing me right now.

"I'm sorry if that's how you feel but I was just concerned." I bite my tongue. I've never seen Niall this annoyed. "I always knew this would be a bad idea." I say as I walk to the exit. Somehow, a part of me believed he would follow me out of the store.

He didn't.

It was as though that small moment we had at the park was just an illusion and now, I'm back to reality. I think of going to Harry and Louis' party but decide not to. After all, Niall would obviously be there and I don't think he wants to see me. But I don't wanna go home. Kelly will be there and I don't wanna see her.

"Rae!" I hear Kennedy before I see him. He was waiting outside our building and he was wearing a suit and his tattoos were covered up. I think he looked better, more approachable. But then it's like he's a totally different person without the ink on his skin.

"Hey!" I try to smile. "Where are you headed?"

"It's my gran's birthday party." he smiles. "I know it's last minute but I was wondering if you wanted to come?"

"I wouldn't wanna impose on your family like that." 

"Nah it's totally cool." he laughs at me. "In fact, they'd be delighted."

"Okay, I'll need time to get ready though."

"Take your time. I'll come back in an hour."

I go to the room and take a quick shower. I then take out a beige summer dress from my closet to wear. It's not that formal but since I was given such short notice, I hope it'll do. I grab my small silver clutch from one of the drawers and put on some earrings. I put on some light make-up and put my hair in a one-sided weave. Just as I finished spraying some perfume, I hear someone knock at the door.

I was expecting Kennedy but it turns out to be Liam. He looks at me the same way he did when he first saw me. "Are you looking for Kelly?" I break the silence.

"I um was actually looking for you," he says as his eyes linger on mine and I feel passion within his riveting stare. "Can we talk?"

"I'm actually headed out." I say as I let him in and close the door. "But I think it would be a good idea  for you to talk to Kelly...she's not yet here but you should wait for her."

"I came to talk to you, not her!" he says forcefully as he holds my shoulders.

"She needs you now, Liam."

We hear a knock from the door and knowing it was Kennedy, I grab my clutch from my room and head out. I don't say a word to Kennedy as we go down the stairs. He must have sensed the situation with Liam as he chooses to stay silent as well. He leads the way to his black Audi and he smiles proudly as he opens the door for me.

"Sweet ride," I murmur dryly.

"It's not bad, I guess." he grins at me as he climbs to the driver's seat.

"I hadn't gotten the chance to say it earlier but you look stunning, Rae."

"You're not so bad yourself." I smile.

We reach Kennedy's parents' house. To call it a house wouldn't suffice. It was more like a big giant museum you see in postcards. "Wow, it's a beautiful home you have here," I mutter as I get out of the Audi.

"Trust me, it's not." Kennedy's mood changes. I guess it's a sore subject. I make a mental note not to bring it up to him again.

I hold Kennedy's arm as we enter the mansion. We are greeted by his mom. Kennedy intoduces me as a close friend although it was quite obvious we are just acquaintances. Her mother glares at me and shows me a fake smile as she embraces me and kisses my cheek. "How lovely to finally meet you. We've heard so much about you." she whispers before she leads us to the living room.

I see Niall seated on the couch and my mind stops for a minute and I blink to make sure I am not mistaken. Shit. It is Niall. What on Earth is he doing here? And then I see her. Ms. Ainsworth was seated beside Niall. What on Earth is she doing here? What are they doing here together? Is it even legal to date your own teacher?

A sly grin forms at the tip of Niall's mouth as he spots me staring at him. The little fucker. I bet he's here to make me jealous of her. Well, two can play at this game. I wrap my arms around Kennedy's neck and wait for Niall's reaction. He turns pink and puts an arm around Ms. Ainsworth. I giggle at the thought of Niall getting jealous because of me. 

"What's so funny?" Kennedy's dark eyes pierce mine after he turns around to check what I was giggling about. He must have noticed that I was using him to make Niall jealous.

"Um nothing."

"Tell me," he says as he grabs my wrist. Why does he seem so different from what he was a minute ago? His hand was like a metal ring around mine and I struggle to free myself from his grasp.

"Kennedy, you're hurting me."

"Please let go of my hand," I continue to plead.

Niall gets up from his seat and yanks my wrist from Kennedy's hold. He drags me out of the mansion and as we reach his car, he turns on the music system. To my surprise, his music taste was the complete opposite of what I had imagined it to be.

"What the hell were you thinking going out with a guy like Kennedy?" he scolds me as he drives out of the massive parking lot. "You barely knew him for fuck's sake."

"I barely know you too so what's the big difference?"

"Well, I've never scared ye like that, haven't I?"

"Well, hate to break it to you but you've scared me once or twice!" I yell at him. He has no right to tell me of how foolish I am for going out with Kennedy when he was foolish enough to go with the slut machine slash teacher. "What were you doing with her anyway?"

"We came as friends," he says carefully.

"If you don't really like me will you please just tell me instead of pretending you do because it's starting to hurt as fuck and I've got no time to be one of your 'friends with benefits' if that's what you were thinking." I blurt out. "Just drop me off somewhere, I'd rather walk home than suffer a ride with you."

"Fine," he says as he pulls over.

"Good." I say as I get off the car.

"Great," he smiles as he drives off, without giving off the slightest show of hesitation in his voice.