Episode 17

I look at Ms. Ainsworth as she lectures about cognitive development. The boys were too busy watching her legs as she struts around the room with her very short, inappropriate skirt while the girls were too busy watching the power couple as Louis plays with Harry's curly hair to listen to what she was babbling about. Fuck. It's so fucking hard to concentrate on the lesson with Larry having mental sex beside you. ('Larry' is Harry and Louis' ship name which has been shipped around two thousand times according to the school paper's latest internet poll.)

"You, over there, what do you think?" Ms. Ainsworth points to my direction and I point a finger to myself to ask if she was pointing to me. She nods and I get up from my seat.

"Sorry, what was the question?" I scratch my head.

"Which decides a person's personality, nurture or nature?"

"Upbringing and genetics both have an effect to the development of the child. However, I think the environment the child grows up in has a stronger and more visible effect than the latter." Ms. Ainsworth nods.

"What do you think, Horan?" she points to Niall and a smile escapes from her mouth.

"I'd have to disagree, I think genetics bears more weight in affecting the personality development of a child." he says as he shots a glance at me. "For example, scientists have recently just discovered that there are genes for criminality and alcoholism."

"If I may," I raise my hand and Ms. Ainsworth gestures for me to go on. "So are you implying that some people were born to fail in life and they can absolutely do nothing about it?"

"All I'm saying is some people are more inclined to vices due to genetic inheritance." Niall retorts.

"I guess that wraps up our discussion for today." she says as she clasps her hands together. "Don't forget to study for your finals next week."

"We're gonna grab some grub somewhere around campus, join us?" Harry asks me.

"Come on," Louis giggles. "My treat."

"Thanks, Lads, but I have this paper due for my political science class." I shrug.

Louis nods and holds Harry's hand as they exit the classroom. I look for Niall but it seems he had already left. I had planned to talk to him regarding what almost happened the other day but he's been avoiding me. Why is he acting as though nothing happened? He's always like that and I'm tired of it.

I leave the classroom and buy a drink before going to the library. As usual, the library was filled and there weren't any empty tables anymore. After collecting five books on the topic, I search the crowd for a familiar face. I spot someone from my dorm and approach her table. "Mind if I sit?"

"Sorry, we're waiting for someone." she politely smiles.

"You can sit with us," Kennedy shouts from two tables ahead.

"Thanks." I say as I sit down across him. I take out my laptop and start working on my paper.

I was halfway done with my paper when I realize Niall had been sitting beside me the whole time. I look at him and drag him out to one of the aisles.

"What do ye want?" he laughs.

"I want to talk, that's what."

"What do we have to talk about?"

"You know," I look directly at his eyes and I blush as I recall his lips on mine.

"I dunno," he says with a wry smile as he removes his snapback and ruffles his hair. "Refresh my memory?" I glare at him and he giggles.

"What's funny?"

"You um have some cream on yer lips." he says sheepily as he brings his face closer to mine. He puts his hands playfully around my hips and sucks the cream from my upper lip. "Sweet." he grins.

"Niall!" I shout at him as he leaves the aisle.

"I'm just gonna walk Sammy," he says as he wears his snapback. "Let's just talk later, I'll swing by yer place."

I go back to the table but my laptop was nowhere to be found. Beneath my green tea latte is a calling card that has "Have dinner with me tonight if you want your things back." and a phone number written at the back. I'm guessing it's Kennedy's.

Kennedy is good-looking and all that but for some unknown reason, I just don't feel attracted to him. I get my phone and send him a text saying I really needed my laptop back because I had a paper due tomorrow. He replies with "Fine, I'll give your things back...but go out with me this Friday??" I was just about to text back when he pops in front of me with my bag.

"This is blackmailing." I laugh.

"See you Friday." he says as he puts my bag on top of the table.

"Friday it is." I shake my head in amusement. "I bet you've done this a lot of times."

"First time, actually."

"I doubt it." I say as I grab the books from the table and Kennedy helps me put them back on the shelves.

"See you Friday." I take my bag and leave the library.

I go back to the dorm and find Liam outside our room. He was wearing a red sweater and he had a bouquet of flowers on his hands. I look at him and it was as though I was staring at a ghost. His hair was a mess and he looked broken.

"Why are you outside?"

"She won't let me in."

"What happened?" I say as I use my key and open the door.

"I told her everything."

"Everything?" I take a deep breath.

"Everything."

"You should probably leave," I look at him. "Don't worry, she'll come around."

Liam nods and throws the flowers at the trash bin as he takes the stairs down. I go inside the room and look for Kelly. I knock at her door but she doesn't answer. "Kells, talk to me." I whisper as I knock harder. Still no answer.

I go to my room and climb out the window. I then move towards Kelly's window. The wind was strong and it was starting to drizzle. I tighten my grip at the bars and continue slowly making my way through the small pathway. I reach her window and find two heads of naked bodies moving together.

One head was Kelly's.

The other was Niall's.