Episode 14

It was a cold Sunday afternoon and I decided to invite Harry and Louis over. It was our winter break and I felt lonely because Kelly wasn't around and Stella and Zayn are headed for Glasgow in a few hours to see the Arctic Monkeys. After Liam told Kelly about his growing drug addiction, Kelly convinced him to go out of town for a couple of days. So it's just me, Harry, and his boyfriend. Judging from Louis' behavior and awkward glances, he obviously feels uncomfortable around me.

"So, this should be fun." I look at the lovers nestled on the couch. "You guys wanna order some pizza?"

"Nah," Harry gets up from the couch. "This is the perfect time to show you my ace cooking skills."

"Nothing with chicken, though." Louis dictates. "I had too much chicken last night."

"Let's see what you have." Harry mumbles as he opens the fridge and the cupboards. "Hmmmm there's nothing edible in here," he crinkles his nose as he brings a bowl of old cereal to his nose. "I'll just grab a few things from the market,"

"I'll come with ya." Louis jumps from his seat.

"Stay here, Lou." Harry smiles. "I can manage."

"Okay." Louis nods as Harry leaves. I sit beside Louis but he stiffens as I do so.

"So, how was the game?"

"We lost."

"What are you majoring in again?" I ask.

"Industrial Architecture."

"Interesting."

"And you?" he asks as his posture changes into a more relaxed position.

"Journalism and Communication Arts."

"Like Harry?"

"Like Harry." I smile. Louis and I talk more about football and how he started playing for another thirty minutes or so. We also talk about how the University might change the school calendar next year.

"Rae, would you mind if I ask you a question?"

"Go ahead."

"What are people saying about us?" Louis runs his left hand over his messy hair. "You know, about Harry and I coming out?"

"Mixed reactions, but mostly good ones," I smile. "Who cares about what they think, Louis? You and Harry are happy. That's all that matters." I pat his head. "It was brave of the both of you."

"But isn't foolish bravery worse than cowardice for the right reasons?"

"What reasons?"

"I wasn't ready, Rae." Louis looks at me with troubled eyes. "I think I only agreed to because I was really scared he might leave me." 

"He told me something about not wanting to bring up coming out to you because he was afraid he'd lose you like how he almost did back in high school."

"High school?" Louis looked surprised. "I only officially met him three months ago." he says as his pupils widen. "Who are you!?" Louis moves away from me. He covers his ears and starts screaming. Just after a second, Harry rushes to Louis and drops the brown bags of vegetables on the floor along his way to the couch.

"Rae! What the fuck did you do?" Harry shoots me an accusing look. He massages Louis' head and Louis stops screaming. "What did you say to him?"

"I don't know," I shake my head. "We were just talking and then he suddenly started screaming,"

"Go call someone from the clinic!" Harry says as Louis starts convulsing. I get up from the couch and run as fast as I could.

Louis' last words echo in my head.