Chapter 24 - Guardian Angel

CHAPTER 24: Guardian angel

Noah walked down a dim-lighted hallway, heading towards the one chamber no one visited, he himself being the only one other than the king holding a key to it. He needed an escape, somewhere where no one would find him, knowing that they all knew most places he went to hide, he figured he'd go to the chamber deep within the castle, somewhere that was overdue on a visit.

Reaching the chamber, Noah placed the book he had under his arm and the candle stick on the ground, as he got the key from his pocket, placing it in the keyhole before twisting it, opening the door right after. The rust caused it to screech, the sound resonated in the empty hall as he slide it open before stepping in.

He looked around the room, his eyes landing on the statue standing in the middle of it, moving the candle forward to see their previous king properly. He sighed before closing the door behind him, taking a seat against the wall closest to the door, his knees probed with his leather book against it.

He looked back up after placing the candle on the floor between them, his eyes looking at the frozen features before he finally said, "I'm sorry if I am disturbing you." His words spoken as if the man before him would answer back. "I thought we should finally speak. Neither Lucius, nor I, have told you about what we shared. And I apologize for having taken advantage of your trust." He said before letting the silence settle between them. "It might be a little late now, but I wanted you to know. I truly do love Lucius deeply.

"You must be wondering what I am doing here." Noah added, "I think it is because I have tried talking to my father, even to some friends, but it didn't work. None of it dulled the pain my heart suffers. They all try to help, I can see that, but their advice rarely helps past the moment it is spoken. I think I needed to speak to someone who would just listen. Who wouldn't try to fix something that can't be mended? Yes. I think that is it. The reason I am disturbing your peace." Noah said with a bitter chuckle before he looked down at his book, "I pray he is with you in the other life. He told me how he wished it. I want him to have all he wanted, even if he is not alive for it.

"You are probably the only one that has any remains left amongst the living. Perhaps you are the only one that could hear me. So if you do, please tell him, let him know that I am missing him. That I love him still. As much as I did when he left me. Tell him I am still waiting, and I will wait. But also tell him that I need him back. I am trying to live as he wanted, but every day is harder. I try to do the things I would have done when he was around. Most of it I force myself to do, like eating, and speaking to others, or even commanding the army when all I want is to be alone.

"Lazarus is starting to give up on me." Noah said with a sad smile, "I don't mean to make him feel this way, and I truly am trying, but it only seems to discourage him further. Especially when I slipped and told him that I wished to end my life that one time. I didn't mean to say the words, but I think they did something to him. He changed after that. He probably thought that changing the way he treated me would stop that terrain of thoughts. All it did was distance us from each other.

"He apologized, tried to make things right. He pushed me past my fear after I was forced to stop Lucius. He stayed up with

all night training me to be able to overcome the crippling fear that was consuming me." Noah's eyes turned to the book before him, his fingers running against its edges as he said, "I did win the tournament again. I don't really feel the accomplishment, but... Lucius would be proud if he were here. I cherished those nights we spent together every year after winning the fights." Noah glanced at King Timothy as he said, "Perhaps it isn't right to tell you this though.