Chapter 49 - Battlefield

CHAPTER 49: BATTLE FIELD

Lucius wiped his brow, wrapping a wounded soldier's leg before moving him to the infirmary that was starting to get full, the yard having been made their initial medical station where they bandaged up the wounded and sent them back there, but now they were starting to use it for many of the soldiers.

Leaving the worrier at the infirmary he returned to the yard, his eyes looking around as he saw cots starting to be set near the infirmary, he was panting, his mind too busy thinking of the next injured soldier to think of anything else. The sight of blood always made him sick, so he wasn't sure if his nausea was still caused by the vain in his brain, or by the bleeding worriers all around him. It was hectic, he didn't know where else to go as he returned to Liam for instructions.

"It's only been half an hour. This is insane." Lucius said as he dug through a bag for painkillers as Liam had asked.

"It's war." Liam replied, pressing against a gash on the woman's waist as he spread his power to heal her, a groan of pain leaving her lips.

"You'll be alright." Lucius said to her as he brought the medicine to her lips, "Liam is the best there is."

"I need to get back out there." She muttered as Lucius brought her head back to the blanket laid out under her.

"No, you need to heal." Liam interjected, "You're lucky I could still salvage what is left of your liver, or you would've been dead by now." Liam glanced up at Lucius before he gestured with his head towards the small door they had been receiving the injured through. "Go help."

Lucius nodded, looking behind him towards a man being carried by two soldiers, seeming to have lost a leg, and a wound to his torso so deep it was gushing blood as they carried him. Lucius paused in his spot at how the man gurgled blood. Liam had told him, that in hopeless cases, they were to set them in a different spot, make them comfortable, because they couldn't save them. So far, the man before him was the fifth to be brought back. He realized the reason for that is most have died on the battlefield. He felt ill once more, the sight of blood making him want to return to his room and hide, especially knowing that the man would be dead in a matter of minutes.

"Where do we take him?" The soldier asked Lucius in a rush. Lucius gulped before pointing towards where they had set a few cots.

"Liam..." Lucius muttered before turning back to where he left him, "Liam! He needs help!" He yelled towards him, rushing after the men as they laid the other soldier down, pressing against his wounds. Lucius took over for one of them, pressing against his abdomen where the gash sprayed thick dark blood.

Liam came over after he tasked a nurse with bandaging the one he had been healing, rushing to Lucius's side. He placed his hand over Lucius's blooded ones as he spread his power, soon realizing that he wouldn't be able to save the man, so he shook his head to Lucius who had been looking at him desperate for his assessment to be positive.

"Liam..." Lucius muttered, his voice quivering as he watched the man take out a potion from his pouch, placing it to the soldier's lips and making him drink it.

"It will help you sleep." Liam said, "You won't feel the pain." The man chocked on his own blood, slowly falling asleep with the medicine he was given. "Avery, we can't save everyone." He told him when the man finally succumb to the short slumber before his death.

Lucius was trembling, his hands still pressed to the wound as Liam told him it was alright to let go. "I... I need a moment..." Lucius muttered, taking in a quivering breath before he left Liam's side, heading to the closest Latrine before he vomited, his head spinning from the number of death he'd seen as of yet. He tried to compose himself as much as he could before leaving the latrine, going to find Liam.