Chapter 44 - The Past

It was a beautiful night, with the moon full as it loomed in the sky, brightening the earth beneath, yet the sting of cold bit unforgivingly against the skin of whomever dared leave their homes at that time of night.

Noah was woken by a strong burst of wind that rattled the windows, making him groan as he sat up, eyes traveling around the room before landing on the empty spot by his side. With a frown, he moved to the edge of the bed, about to get up and search for Lucius, thinking he might've went to the kitchen as he usually did in the middle of the night, but instead, a movement outside the window caught his eyes that landed on Lucius, leaning by the railing of the balcony, with nothing but his sleeping shirt on, leather pants he was sure did nothing to protect him from the harsh weather, and his feet bare against the cold stone ground of the balcony.

Pulling a blanket around his shoulder, he made his way to the window, opening it before walking outside, wincing as he felt the cold seep through the ground into his bones. Once he reached Lucius, he wrapped the blanket around the both of them, his arms around Lucius's torso as he pulled him to his chest, his head against Lucius's shoulder as he whispered, "It's too cold, and too late... what are you doing?"

"I wish I could remember everything all at once, instead of dreaming it. Everything I dream of seems as if I am living it at the moment, and it feels so..." Lucius sighed, raising his hand until he touched Noah's arm. "It feels as if it is happening now." He explained.

Noah pulled away, moving to the side to look at Lucius worriedly, just then noticing a trail of tears that have just dried streaking down his cheeks. "Are you well?" he asked him, his reddened cheeks not helping his worry, only increasing it.

"Fine." Lucius mumbled, failing at his attempt to smile.

Noah took the blanket from his shoulders, placing it over Lucius's before he cupped his face, asking "What did you remember?"

"The first time we met Leon. My last conversation with my father." Lucius told him, then reached up until his hand was against Noah's cheek as he said, his voice chocked "Your tears when you realized that you couldn't save me."

"Love, that was so long ago." Noah whispered, smiling encouragingly at him as he placed a kiss atop his head. "All of that has happened, and is over with. There is no use dwelling on the past."

"It feels as if it all happened a mere hour ago." Lucius told him, leaning closer as he rested his head against his shoulder, "I know that it was so long in the past, yet... the ache in my heart is so fresh."

Noah wrapped his arms around him as he said, "Come back to bed. You will feel better in the morning."

"I almost went to find Leon." Lucius said, chuckling at himself. "I feel this urge to speak with him."

Noah smiled at him as he said, "Perhaps in the morning. It will do you no good to wake him up. And try not to dredge up his past. It still upsets him."

"I know." Lucius mumbled. "It's so cold." He finally said, to which Noah wrapped an arm around his back, guiding him back inside where the room was warmer with the fire from the fireplace.

"That's what happens when you decide on sightseeing in the middle of the night." Noah scolded, wrapping Lucius in the blanket before covering him in another one once he got him in bed, then holding him close to get him warmer.

***

"Lucius, time to get up." Noah said, a small smile playing at his lips at the usual task he did every morning. "Come on." He encouraged, tugging at the blanket, which for once wasn't being gripped tightly in Lucius's hands. He frowned when Lucius didn't move, but shivered. He touched Lucius's shoulder as he said, "Lu-...?"