Chapter 22 - Painful Reality

CHAPTER 22: PAINFUL REALITY

Tobias went to check on his brother and sister, both of whom had moved into Beatrice's room, deciding to stay together. He didn't mind them staying in his room, but Beatrice said that they were fine to be on their own, and since he stayed with Edmur when they were in his room, he didn't see it as that big of a change. Their rooms were across from his and Edmur's, so he didn't mind them not sharing a room with him.

He knocked before opening the door as he heard voices through it. He entered the room, standing tall with his arms crossed as he glared at the two engaged in a pillow fight, one over the bed, with the other just beside it.

"Kids." Tobias said out loud. They gasped, stopping what they were doing instantly to look back at him with wide eyes, he thought he saw fear behind them for a moment, which had him relax a bit before he asked, "Why are you not asleep yet?"

"We were fluffing...?" Frances mumbled softly, referring to the pillows. The way he said it almost had Tobias gushing about his adorableness once more, but he restrained himself as he walked towards the bed, picking up a pillow that was on the floor as he made his way there.

He saw them tense before he asked once more, "And what made you think you could have a pillow fight? Huh?" They stumbled for words, before he added out loud, "Without inviting me to join!" They squealed, both not expecting his reaction.

Beatrice jumped on the bed, trying to dodge the pillow Tobias was trying to hit her with, only for Frances to stand on the bed, aiming his pillow at Tobias. They giggled, running around with Tobias chasing them, then switching partners before they both were chasing him, having him pinned on the bed with them beating at him.

"Mercy! Mercy!" Tobias was yelling after a while, trying to regain his breath from how much he was laughing. "I'm dying!" Tobias said, gasping for air.

Frances immediately stopped, tossing his pillow aside as he fell next to Tobias, grabbing at his shirt as he exclaimed, "No! Brother! Don't Die!" He yelled, his eyes welling with tears before he wrapped his arms around Tobias's neck, almost strangling him as he held onto him tightly. "Don't leave us." He begged.

"Idiot." Beatrice said with a sigh before she giggled, letting her pillow fall next to her as she fell to her knees, bouncing on the mattress.

"Don't call your brother that, Be." Tobias scolded lightly, sitting up as he held Frances back, assuring him that he wasn't dying, that it was only a joke.

"Don't say it again then." He insisted as he pulled away from Tobias.

"I won't, I promise." Tobias said with a soft smile, pinching Frances's cheeks as he said, "Now time for bed."

"But I want a story." Frances said with a pout. Tobias had been reading them a few pages from a book he found amongst the many Edmur had in his chamber, finding out that they helped get the two to sleep much faster. "Pleeeease?" Frances said in the cutest way, making Tobias's shoulder drop in defeat. He couldn't refuse that face.

"Only a couple of pages." Tobias said, watching as Frances brightened at his answer, rushing to get under the covers. He didn't fail to notice Beatrice's excitement either, which she tried to hide, but also got under the sheets next to Frances.

He read to them, until Frances fell asleep. He closed the book after the second page as promised, glancing at Beatrice who was also dozing off, but still awake. "You won't leave us, will you? Not like she did?" She asked quietly.