Chapter 9 - Conflicted

CHAPTER 9: CONFLICTED

Tobias had always know what his mother truly thought of him, it didn't come as a surprise when she actually put those feelings into words, but that didn't make him feel better about hearing them. Edmur was right. She was still his mother, and he still had those feelings Edmur spoke of, no matter how much he denied it, they did exist.

"Why don't you reconsider the marriage? It might patch things up with your mother." Edmur suggested as he noticed the far look in Tobias's eyes from where he waited for him to get ready for the dinner with the king.

"It will fix nothing. She will never change."

"Why not try." Edmur questioned.

Tobias glared at the fireplace, not bothering to answer Edmur's question. He already did after all, but the seer decided to brush it off as him taking out his frustration on him. He did do it in the past, so he couldn't blame him. But that isn't how a person is supposed to act when you confessed your undying love for them.

Tobias couldn't help but think back to all the times he'd tried hinting to the seer that he had feeling for him, but no glances, or gestures worked. So he turned to trying to make him jealous, and what better way to do it then to flirt with gorgeous women. That ended up slapping him in the face, when he figured out that it only made Edmur think that he was a nothing more than a flirt.

He'd fallen for him a little while after they'd started living in the castle. The way he held himself, so confident and reliable even though they were just starting to learn the ropes of how things were done in the castle. He found himself staring fondly at him while he spoke and argued his points, with men older than them both, and most of them were men that formed the king's council back then.

They were childhood friends, always staying at each other's places, mostly Edmur's to avoid Tobias's mother. Edmur's always known about Tobias's mother, but he never truly talked much about it, so the seer didn't want to pry into his life. Tobias spent almost every day with Edmur since they were children. Usually he'd visit when his father had matter to discuss with Edmur's since they both were important members of the king's court.

Wars seemed endless at the time, every once in a while their father's would be summoned by the king. Tobias remembered the goodbyes, hating each time his father left them, not knowing if he'd come back, until one day he didn't.

His heart ached as his mind went back in time to when he heard horses riding down the gravel path towards their house. He tossed his book to the side, grabbing Edmur's hand as he ran towards the door. As usual he was at Edmur's, and his father knew where he was whenever he returned, so he'd normally ride with Edmur's father to their house so he'd pick up Tobias.

They threw the door open and ran with wide smiles towards the path, where dust was being tossed into the air around the horses hooves as they rode towards them. Tobias stopped when he noticed the men who were riding towards them, three, but none was his father. Edmur stopped, only because Tobias still held his hand, making him glance back to see the reason he stopped, noticing that Tobias's smile was gone and a frown replaced it.

"Toby, let's go!" Edmur said, pulling on Tobias's hand to get him to move, "They're coming, let's go." He tried again to pull Tobias behind him, but Tobias wouldn't move, standing there as if frozen in his spot. Tobias shook his head, glancing passed Edmur towards the horses that were closer now, dreading the moment they reached them. Edmur frowned at him before looking behind him in the direction the horses were coming from. Soon they were stopping in front of them, dismounting as they walked towards the two.