Chapter 16 - Preparation

CHAPTER 16: PREPARATION 

Tobias walked towards the docks, the river calm with the light breeze sweeping around, tousling his hair softly. He tucked his hair behind his ear as he walked towards the edge, taking a seat before saying, "Back to spending your time at the dock?" Noah didn't answer him, his gaze still trailing the moving water. "I didn't thank you for saving my siblings. I am truly grateful, Noah." Tobias said solemnly.

"No need. I'm glad we got to them in time." Noah sighed before laying back against the dock, staring towards the sky and watching as a bird flew over them, so black against the blueness of the sky. "He thought he was weak." Noah muttered after a long moment of silence.

"Who?" Tobias asked, confused.

"Lucius. He said that he was weak, and that I was stronger." Noah answered, "How strong am I if I submit to sorrow, Toby?" Noah asked.

"What are you talking about, Noah?" Tobias asked, wanting Noah to tell him what he was so clearly upset about.

"I'm a terrible person. I had this awful thought: that maybe it would have been best if I had never met him... if I never agreed to be his knight, then maybe..." Noah chocked on his words, shutting his eyes tightly before he said, "Maybe he would be safe, and I wouldn't... I wouldn't feel so much pain. How could I even think that? How could I be so selfish...?"

Tobias sighed, understanding now why Noah seemed so dismayed. "Both of you have been selfish, Noah. It is nothing to upset yourself about." Noah opened his eyes, staring up at the sky again as he listened to Tobias, who added, "You didn't help him end his life even when he begged, telling you he'd had enough. He didn't let you leave his side when he knew you would have to watch him die."

"You are not helping..." Noah muttered, feeling even more chocked as he thought of it the way Tobias had described.

"Everyone is selfish at one point or another. It is not a sin to think something like that when you are grieving, Noah. It can't be helped sometimes. When things are overwhelming, you find yourself thinking the worst things that you never thought you could. It is human. The reason why our thoughts are private, is that we could let them wonder wherever they want. Don't feel guilty for wishing your pain could end." Tobias told him. "Besides, if you didn't become his knight, he would have lost his life a lot sooner."

"I don't think so." Noah mumbled, grateful for the helpful words.

"The ride back from Enond, you remember that? If you weren't there, and didn't try healing him while on your way back to Eglar, he would have died before reaching the castle." Tobias reminded, his hand over Noah's knee as he added, "And many more times after that. You have protected him time and time again, and his death is not on you, he chose to protect you, to save your life, so don't feel sorry for living, instead make him proud, and let him see how you have honored his sacrifice when he returns."

Noah sat up after a moment of silence, muttering, "Thank you, Tobias."

"You are welcome. Now come with me, Lazarus asked for us all to gather."

"And you are just mentioning this." Noah asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Well, I like to make an entrance." Tobias shrugged, getting to his feet and dusting his pants before smiling down at Noah and saying, "Let's go. I think we've kept them waiting long enough."

Noah sighed before getting to his feet, walking next to Tobias with Leon following them, Tobias guiding them through the castle once in it, reaching the meeting chamber, but they kept walking instead of entering the room. After going through a few more halls, Tobias opened on of the doors to a room with large double doors, gesturing for him to enter before he did.