Chapter 7 - Bad Omen

CHAPTER 7: Bad Omen

Edmur sat in his room, reading a book he'd abandoned a while back, wanting to submerge himself into the tale he'd once loved its plot. He didn't give any mind to when the door to his room was tossed open, knowing that no one dared enter his room without invitation except Tobias, who walked into the room after closing the door behind him. He let himself fall onto the couch, landing his head onto Edmur's lap as he did so, a heavy sigh escaping him.

"Breakfast was a complete disaster." He commented as he stared at the ceiling.

"I know your need for attention, Tobias, but could you stop barging in here like that. I could be getting dressed for all you know." Edmur scolded lightly as he went on reading.

"That already happened, didn't it?" Tobias replied with a smirk, getting smacked against his forehead.

"Exactly. I would appreciate not having a repeat of it."

"Maybe if you stopped hitting me-..." Tobias complained as he rubbed against his forehead.

"Maybe if you stopped acting so childish, I wouldn't have to." Edmur said in return. "Now be quiet, I'm trying to read."

Toby groaned as he mumbled, "All you do is read. You need to get a life."

"I enjoy the one I have very much, thank you. I don't need a new one."

"Very funny." Tobias replied as he closed his eyes.

"I do try." Edmur teased.

"But seriously, what do you think happened that made Noah panic in such a way...?" Tobias wondered out loud.

Edmur sighed as he said, "I don't know, but I do hope he is alright."

"If I ever died, would you be upset like that?" Tobias muttered without thinking.

"Don't." Edmur warned, a frown working itself on his face as he tried not to imagine such a fate befalling Tobias.

"Awe, he cares~..." Tobias teased with a smirk.

"Toby, I swear, if you keep it up-..."

"You will hit me with your book, I know, I get it, heard it enough times already." Tobias said cutting him off.

Edmur ignored him for the longest time as silence surrounded them before he mumbled, "Don't say things like that, Toby. I don't like thinking of death, especially of those close to my heart." He said as he placed a hand against Tobias's head, absently caressing his hair as he kept his book in front of him. He wasn't reading anymore as his mind was occupied by other things.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." He replied solemnly as he sat up, just then seeing the frown plastered on the seers face.

Edmur met his eyes as he said, "Ever since my father's death, it seems like tragedy has surrounded me, and there is never a thing I could do to prevent it..." He sighed, closing his eyes as he let his head rest against Tobias's shoulder.

"I know how you feel." Toby muttered, taking a hold of Edmur's hand. "It seems we are cursed." Toby chuckled bitterly.

"Then don't talk about your death, because anyone else I could live with, but I don't think I could live with yours..." Edmur admitted.

"Sorry, Ed." Tobias repeated his apology, pressing a chaste kiss against the seers head as he wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "So what do you say we go raid the kitchens for food?" Tobias suggested after a long moment.

"We just had breakfast." Ed deadpanned.

"Well it wasn't much of a breakfast, and I am completely famished." Tobias replied.