Chapter 2 - Remnants of a Phantom

CHAPTER 2: REMNANTS OF A PHANTOM  

Blayth fastened his belt around his trousers as he walked around his room, checking that he had everything he needed, and making sure his weapon pouch was fully stoked. He stopped in the middle of the room as his eyes scanned it to check if he'd missed something. A sigh escaped him as his eyes landed on the lump that lay on the other bed in his room.

He walked up to it, taking seat on the edge of the bed as he placed a hand atop the cover, shaking it slightly as he said, "Come now, Leon, it's time for you to get up. We have a long day ahead of us." For a long moment he just sat there waiting for Leon to reply, or give an indication that he was going to get up and get ready for them to resume their tasks. Mainly making sure that Noah was not contemplating ending his life. But Leon didn't seem like he was going to move anytime soon. "Leon. This is ridiculous. How long do you plan on just lay there? You've been in that bed since we got back from dropping Noah off at his house." Blayth sighed then added with frustration, "At least acknowledge me."

"I don't feel like it..." he merely muttered in reply to Blayth's earlier words.

"Why? Are you sick? Not feeling well? Perhaps you have a fever?" Blayth continued to pester the knight, reaching over his shoulder, as Leon's back was facing him, and placing his hand against Leon's brow. Leon though wouldn't stand for it as he slapped his hand away and sat up abruptly.

"What are you doing?" Leon hissed at him at invading his space.

"Checking if you have a fever." Blayth said merely with a nonchalant shrug. Trying to pretend that he didn't notice the swollen, red eyes that were obviously so from tears shed during the night, and maybe even that morning.

"I don't! Now leave me alone." He said, about to get back under his blankets when Blayth tugged them away. "Blayth!" he warned.

"We promised, and we won't break our last promise to him." Blayth reminded. He frowned when he saw the dark-haired knight's shoulders slump in defeat, his eyes moving to his lap. Blayth knew what plagued the other knight's mind. He knew how upset he was over their loss of their liege, and how much more so Leon was than him.

Lucius had become an overprotective brother to Leon since he'd met that broken boy in the field, where he avenged his family's deaths. He kept him safe; protected him; named him a knight and made him a personal guard. Though not only did he do it because of his skill, but to keep him close and keep an eye on him. To give him a purpose in life.

He saved him. And now his savior was dead. Blayth was sure Leon felt lost, uncertainty and frightened. He'd never been away from Lucius's side for long since his family passed. Leon acted strong, tough, and unbeatable. As if nothing in the world affected him. But there was one thing that did. Being alone. That always scared him, left him gasping for air in the middle of the night when he'd woken up from nightmares of being left alone with no one by his side, with everyone he cared about being taken from him again.

Without any prior warning, Blayth leaned forward, bringing Leon into a tight hug, causing the latter to tens in reaction. He wasn't used to being touched so unceremoniously. Though he and Blayth had shared a room for almost six years, they have never been so familiar with each other.

"Blayth!" Leon grunted, finally realizing what was going on and trying to push the red-head's arms away from himself. "What do you think you are doing now?" he demanded.

"Something Lucius would have done if he was here." Blayth mumbled in reply, tightening his arms around Leon as he felt the dark-haired knight's grip loosen. "It will be all right, Leon. I know how painful it must feel to have lost Lucius. I feel the same, but I know you got the worst blow between the two of us.