Chapter 6 - Remains

CHAPTER 6: REMAINS

It was late into the night, the breeze cold from the lack of sun to warm the weather. Levi stood at the edge of the river, far from any prying eyes as he gazed at the calmness of the water flowing before him.

"My lord-..." Levi cut Zachatious a glare, which the man quickly took into consideration as he corrected himself, "My king, it is freezing out here, care to tell me what we are doing?" He was rubbing his hands against his arms, trying to warm himself up, and to emphasis his words.

"Well, it's simple really. I am here for Lucius."

"Did you miss the part where they burned him to ash?" Zachatious asked smartly.

Levi chuckled as he replied, "Well, keep undemanding me and see where that would get you. And yes, I know. I am here to get whatever is left of his ashes. I could use them to study what he was made of. Hopefully to some good results."

Zachatious groaned as he muttered, "Why did I have to come along."

"Because I need someone to cover my back as I preform my spell." Levi said as his eyes started to turn a blood-red color.

"Are you sure you are well enough now to preform spells?" Zachatious asked as he recalled how weakened he was mere days ago.

"Yes I am. I do believe that spell I cast on Lucius affected me as well, as it was not a complete one. I guess I should have headed the warning of not messing with forbidden spells. But I have to admit, it was fun knowing how it tortured the ingrate as it killed him." Levi said arrogantly, his back still to Zachatious as he started to speak the words of a spell that would retrieve whatever remained of Lucius from the bottom of the river.

He was slowly regaining his ability to cast spells that are powerful since Lucius had died. He hoped for it, and now he was glad, for his plans would have been useless without the enormous amount of power coursing through his veins.

Zachatious shivered, his eyes glancing around them for any Eglar soldiers as they were close to the castle, near where the vessel carrying Lucius's remains had sunk. "Can we hurry this up?" Levi ignored him as he took his time with the spell, not wanting to miss anything that he could manage to get his hands on.

A few moments later, his eyes widened, as he found more than he expecting, feeling how much of his power was needed to drag whatever it was out of the water. "Wow... I didn't expect we'd find that much of him left." He said crudely, a smirk drawing on his lips. "This will hopefully be enough to gain sufficient knowledge into the accursed blood of that family."

"Yeah, yeah. Can we go now? It's getting colder by the second." Zachatious muttered as he turned around, making his way back into the forest line. In a mere instant his sword was drawn, his eyes darting around as he heard a snap of a fallen branch.

"Take care of them, Zachatious, I don't want to ruin the good mind set I am in." Levi spoke as he moved towards a different part of the forest before disappearing behind the tree line himself.

Four armed guards, wearing Eglar armor, stepped from behind the trees, preparing themselves for the fight to come as they saw the intruder, who had his sword drawn. Zachatious didn't give them a chance to strategies, as he slashed his sword in a quick motion, ending the first life for that night.

***

Noah slept restlessly, his mind waking him up many times, not giving him a chance of a good rest. He was agitated as he woke up, his mind somewhere else the whole morning as he dressed and got ready for another stressful day. He'd once again returned to the castle, to the room opposite the king's where his father made him stay the night before. He didn't want to disturb his father's sleep by returning there.