56. Bright Red Bruises

has traces of domestic violence!!! pls don't read if that's not for you!!!!!!

btw they're in highschool

Dan's eyes flickered open, hearing the sound of hard rain falling against the roof and.. something else? He sat up, listening closely to the sound of something hitting the wall. He got up, thinking there might have been some sort of animal in the wall, about to get his parents when he saw something hit his window.

Dan opened it, squinting out. "Is someone there?" He asked, barely able to make out a figure standing in the pouring rain about 8 feet below.

"It's me." A hoarse voice called, Dan recognizing it.

"Phil?" He asked. "What're you doing out there?"

"C-could you just l-let me in?" He stuttered, Dan sighing a little but nodding.

"Back door." He said, hurrying downstairs. Dan grabbed a fluffy towel on his way down, considering how wet and cold it was outside. He quickly unlocked it, looking at Phil.

Phil graciously took the towel, keeping his eyes on the ground.

"It's pouring outside- what are you doing out so late?" Dan asked, gently settling his hand on Phil's shoulder as Phil draped the towel carefully over his back. Phil immediately squirmed away from Dan's hand, sniffling.

"My parents were fighting." He lied, scratching the back of his neck. Dan didn't completely believe it but nodded anyway, gently taking Phil's forearm. Phil didn't squirm away, instead leaned into the touch.

Dan brought him to the kitchen, starting to fill a glass with water for Phil. Though, when he turned around to give it to Phil, Phil had completely broken down. His body racked with every strangled breath he took, tears streaming down his cheeks which he tried to cover with his hands.

Dan's eyes widened a little, setting the glass down and trying to comfort Phil. He leaned into Phil, wiping his tears away with his thumbs. Phil frowned, tightly wrapping his arms around the smaller boy.

Dan was silent, just letting Phil cry into him until he calmed down.

"Would you mind if I asked what happened?" Dan whispered afterwards, wanting to help Phil with whatever was making him sob like this. Phil shook a little, Dan's arms hooked around his waist loosely. Phil thought for a moment before nodding, gently pushing Dan away.

Phil let the towel fall off him and slink around his feet on the floor, sighing. "It's better if I just show you..." He mumbled, pulling his shirt off over his head and turning around so his back was to Dan.

Dan seemed to freeze, his shoulders raising and his hand clamping to his mouth. All along Phil's back and ribs were bright red, green and blue, and purple bruises. Dan cautiously reached out, letting his finger tips barely graze again Phil's back. Phil tensed up a little but seemed okay with Dan's gentle touch.

Dan ran his fingers along a couple of the purple ones, not daring to touch the red ones as he could tell they were new. After a couple minutes Phil let his shirt fall back down, still facing away from Dan.

"Phil?" Dan started, leaning against the counter so he could get a glimpse of Phil's face.

"Hmm.." Phil acknowledged, seeming a little lifeless.

"You can come here anytime you need too." He said softly, leaning up on his toes and kissing Phil's cheek. Phil nodded a little, reaching down amd squeezing Dan's hand.

"Could I stay here tonight?" Phil asked, glancing over at Dan. Dan nodded, picking up the towel and taking Phil by the forearm, bringing him upstairs.