58. Unplanned Masterpiece

Dan waited nervously in the restaurant, tapping his fingers against the table. It was starting to get late, nearing 20:00, and Dan had school the next day.

He had been waiting for his asshole of a date to meet him for almost 2 hours, Dan frowning at the table as his eyes filled with tears. He had been stood up once again, something that hurt him everytime even though he really should be used to it.

"Sir?" A female's voice asked from in front of him. She seemed pretty cautious with what she was saying and with her tone of voice. "Are you going to order at all?"

Dan sniffled a little, rubbing his eyes. He shook his head, slowly gathering up his bag and jacket. She had an apologetic look on her face, standing by the table.

"Would you like a water?" She asked softly, Dan shaking his head as he rose to his feet.

"Thanks.." He mumbled, the woman moving out of the way so he could leave only to get gently moved back. Someone sank into the seat on the other side of the table, smiling cockily at Dan and the lady.

"I am so sorry that I'm late, I was caught up in schoolwork and I had chores to do..." He started, flashing an apologetic look at Dan to make it seem lore convincing. "I really hope you'll give me another chance..."

Dan honestly had no clue what this random guy was talking about as he had never seen him in his life. Though, under the limelight of the overhead TV, Dan could definitely make out that this guy was attractive. So, since he didn't have much else to do that evening, Dan wearily sat back down.

"I'll just have water." The guy said, dismissing the waitress. It was then after she left did he pull off his glasses, frowning at Dan. "I saw you whilst with some friends. They all went home but I couldn't help but feel bad for you."

Dan swallowed the lump in his throat but nodded softly. The guy held out his hand, raising his eyebrows hopefully. "My name's Phil. You?"

Dan looked at Phil with wide eyes, sheepishly taking Phil's hand.

"Dan..." He mumbled, seeming a little on edge.

Phil nodded. "Cool." He said, flashing a small smile at Dan. When Dan didn't return it, Phil resorted to something else. "Hey, listen. Whoever chose to show you up is a douchebag and nobody deserves that. Just.. play along, 'kay?"

Dan blushed but nodded, setting his stuff down and biting his lip.

The two ended up having a great time, Phil telling Dan some pretty weird stories about weird people he had met, Dan laughing throughout them all. Dan shared some stories, Phil seeming pretty amused.

Soon enough, the night had to come to an end, Dan much happier now than before. "Thank you, Phil." He said as he collected his stuff again.

"You're welcome." They both got up, Phil smiling at Dan. "Hey, Dan?"

"Yeah?" Dan asked softly, pulling his jacket on.

"Would you mind going on a real, planned date with me? You're pretty cute and a really good conversationalist.." Phil offered, his cheeks heating up. Dan blushed and bowed his head, nodding a little and exchanging numbers with Phil. It was then that he said bye, waving and walking off, leaving Dan happily standing beside the table they were previously sitting at.