50. Distraction

The editing I was working on seemed to be merciless. It was only one video, but it seemed like such a bore. I opened my chrome window, pausing the song that had been playing as background noise so I could play a different one.

I chose my song and sighed, glancing over at Phil who was sitting in the other office chair, his laptop perched on the edge of the desk and a piece of blank paper in front of him. A book was opened in his lap. I felt bad for making him do the taxes this time around, but the way we went back and forth every yeah was not going to stop him.

He had a few things scribbled on the piece of paper. I didn't understand why he just didn't use something like Google Documents.

I hadn't realized he had caught my gaze until he gave me a cocky smile.

"Having fun over there?" I teased, slowly removing the muff from my left ear.

"Obviously." He said with palpable sarcasm. "Are you enjoying your video editing?"

"Sure. Just a bore, that's all." I replied, looking back at the screen.

"I'm pretty convinced that it isn't as boring as my work." Phil muttered. I rolled my eyes, putting my muff back over my ear.

Within a few minutes, I heard a faint snap indicating that Phil's pencil had broke.

I watched as his lanky arm reached over my own, snatching a pencil from the small container on the desk.

"So-rry, just need a pencil!" He said in a singsong voice. I studied Phil's expression as his eyes flickered over to the small filing cabinet against the wall. Atop the surface lay yet another pencil. He gave me an awkward smile, stiffling a chuckle.

"Aaaand that one too!" He rang, reaching far over myself and the desk. I let go of the mouse, raising my hand over top of his body to risk it from getting totally smothered by his body weight.

Phil's fingertips just barely brushed against the surface of the pencil as he lost his grip and fell forward a bit, his glasses falling off his face and the pencil hitting his head and then the floor. I rested a hand on the inside of his calf, making sure he didn't completely topple over.

"Oopsie daisy! It fell!" He excused himself. I scoffed, tempted to let go of his leg as he scrambled to pick up the other pencil, transfering it to his left hand, and trying to put his glasses om his face when he was partially blind.

"I'm trying to work, you know!" I said angrily. Phil suddenly swung his entire upper body away from the ground, resting his right hand in my lap.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Phil pushed himself forward, kissing me softly. I snarled against his lips, still kissing him back anyway.

He pulled away, winking at me and turning back to the paper where he started to write again. I put my head in my hands and sighed.