42. Christmas

Phil pushed his plate away. He had definitely eaten enough.

"Thanks for that fantastic dinner," He said with a smile. "Do you want some help cleaning up?"

"Oh Philip! You're very welcome!" Phil's aunt said. "And I believe your mother and I have got the dishes, but thank you for offering. Go bond with the family you haven't seen in so long!"

Phil nodded, getting up from his chair. He decided to take his plate to the kitchen for it was the least he could do. He grabbed a glass of water on his way out, going into the living room. Phil looked over at the Christmas tree, about to take a seat when he remembered the small package with glittering wrapping paper. He felt some sort of sadness fill him.

It was Dan's gift.

Dan was at his parents house this year and Phil at his own. They had forgotten to do their gift exchange before parting ways...

Phil quickly set his glass down on the end table, going over to the tree and picking it up.

He turned it around in his hands before quickly looking over at his brother.

"Martyn."

Martyn looked over at Phil, smiling at first. He looked down at the gift.

"Drive me?" Phil asked. Martyn nodded, getting up. Cornelia followed.

"Mind if I join?" She asked.

"Not at all." Phil said, rushing out into the mudroom. He put his shoes and coat on, the other two doing the same.

Phil shoved the small box wrapped with the glittering wrapping paper and iridescent ribbon into his pocket.

"Where are you three going?" Phil's mum asked.

"Dan's." Phil's mum made an acknowledging type of face, letting them go.

Soon enough they were on the highway, Martyn driving, Cornelia in the passenger seat, and Phil in the back.

"His parents' hous is out of town, right?" Martyn asked.

"Yes, but not too far."

It was farther than they anticipated. After about an hour of driving, the sky pitch black, they reached the small yet beautifully decorated house.

"I won't be long." Phil said before hurrying out of the car. He felt the December air nip at his nose and ears, Phil pulling the bonnet of his jacket over his head. He quickly made his way across the street and up the steps.

Phil pushed the doorbell, waiting a few seconds before somebody opened the door.

The smell of turkey and chocolate wafted up his nose, chatter and clatter of dishes all around. The loudest thing he heard was Dan's distinguishable laugh.

"Who are you?" The short and stout lady asked. She looked old, presumably Dan's grandmother.

"Hello, nice to meet you. I'm just looking for-" He saw someone bound down the stairs in front of him, recognizing him to be Dan's brother.

"Dan! Phil's here!" His brother shouted, flashing Phil a small smile before going into the main room. The older lady left as well, all the chatter had stopped as Phil watched Dan exit the room his brother had went into.

"Phil!" A smile spread across his face, walking over to the other. Phil felt Dan's arms wrap around his neck, holding him close. "I didn't think you would come."

"I didn't think I was going to either but.. I had to." Phil said, smiling wide as his arms squeezed around Dan's waist. "Merry Christmas, Bear." Dan buried his face into Phil's neck, pulling away for a moment to run and grab Phil's gift and pull his shoes on. They sat outside, Dan pulling the door shut.

"Why didn't you grab your jacket?" Phil asked as they settled on the top step.

"I didn't feel like it." Dan said softly. Phil wrapped his arms around Dan's shoulders, knowing that it probably wouldn't do much.

"You can open mine first." Phil offered, even though he didn't want to.

"No, it's okay. Do mine, please?" Phil smiled at Dan's quiet pleads, nodding and taking the large box off Dan's lap. He gently tore off the wrapping paper, being presented with a regular brown box. He opened it up, a bright shirt that he had always been wanting staring back at him, along with a small Pokémon keychain.

Phil looked over at Dan, smiling. "Thank you! It's amazing." He gently kissed Dan's cheek.

"You're welcome.." Dan mumbled. Phil wasn't sure if Dan's face was so red because he was blushing or because of the cold, not that it mattered.

Phil felt himself get nervous as he unzipped his jacket pocket, pulling out the small box.

"Bright." Dan commented, smiling down at it.

As Dan started to take off the wrapping paper, Phil started, "I didn't really want it to happen this way, but then you got invited to come here and my mum asked me to go over so..." Underneath the paper was a blue velvet box, a silver engraving showing the logo.

Dan's breath hitched, looking over at Phil with wide eyes. "Don't tell me it's..."

"Open it." Phil urged. He could see the tears welling in Dan's eyes, the younger boys' shaky hands opening the lid of the box.

A small, gold ring was presented. Silver engravings coiled around the edges, and a small engraving on the inside read, "always mine".

"Dan, I've waited for a really long time and.. I know you're expecting it but, would you-"

"Yes! Absolutely! Most definitely!!" Dan interrupted loudly, wrapping his arms around Phil. Phil responded back quickly, squeezing Dan tight and kissing him softly.

They heard the door open behind them,  letting go of the kiss yet not of each other.

"Oh my- I didn't think-" Mrs. Howell started, quickly shutting the door. Phil rested his head on Dan's shoulder, feeling tears drip off Dan's cheeks onto his own.

"Do you like it?" Phil asked.

"Of course I do, I love it." Dan muttered. "But I love you so much more."
_________
merry frickin christmas

hope you all have a good day!

and if you don't celebrate christmas, then happy holidays in general :)