A Love That Won't End 2

5 days later.

(Richard)

I stood below the shed right infront of the building where Maine was renting a unit. I pushed up the sleeves of my red hoodie and pocketed my hands into my brown jeans. Anxious, I leaned onto the post on my left and crossed my legs, the warm sun shining on the busy city of New York. I looked at my watch and it read 12:45 pm.

I sighed. I was here since 7 in the morning, haven't had coffee, haven't had breakfast and I am awfully hungry. But on the other side of the story, I wanted this. I wanted to surprise her that I will be the first person she'll see today.

Cupid had the arrow too sharp and it hit me so damn accurately. I am definitely inlove with this goofy woman I met on the night of the 16th of July. Sure I've had girlfriends before, but none were serious. All were just play and fun. But now, this time it will be different. It already is, different.

1:00 pm. I smelled a familiar scent of sweet and rosy perfume, one that I cannot forget. I dusted and smoothened the creases on my jacket and brushed my hand through my hair. Then, I walked to her. The soft wind blowing on her shining bronze hair, she has this black NY dress on and a cap on her head. She looks gorgeous, in everything she wears.

"Oh, hi RJ!" She called out after recognizing me.

I waved at her with a matching smile and stood infront of her.

"Why are you here so early? You didn't even call." she said.

"Eh, I wanted to see you. I figured it would be nice to surprise you though. Oh and 1 pm isn't even early Meng." I teased.

She snickered and shrugged. A few strands of hair were falling loosely on her forehead and it just enhanced her beauty.

"Well, naglunch ka na ba?" She asked.

"Ay, ano eh, di pa."

She raised an eyebrow at me and observed my composure. She studied my face and I tried to make it look like I'm okay. But she has this magic on when she can tell if there is a hidden lie somewhere. Maine crossed her shoulders and let out a heavy breath.

"Nako. You haven't eaten anything since last night no?"

Shoot. How did she even notice that. I don't look shabby do I?

"Huh? Di ah." I denied.

"Oy Faulkerson... Don't you dare lie to me."

I sighed in defeat and looked at her.

"Hay. Bakit ba ang galing mo?"

"RJ, I'm an author, I am very descriptive in my stories. Ofcourse, saan ako kukuha ng inspiration for the tiny details I put on there? I observe Jay. New York is a bustling city, Maraming tao maraming opportunity. That's why I love Central Park the most. Maraming taong iba't iba ang storya, iba't iba ang iniisip, pinagdadaanan at nararamdaman."

I flashed a smile at her. She did the same and brushed her hand on my arm to somehow comfort me.

"Tara? Gutom na rin ako eh. Jan tayo sa isang Filipino Restaurant, two blocks away lang. Nakakamiss na mga lutong pinoy eh." She offered.

I nodded and slowly crept my hand into hers and held it. I looked at her as if to ask if it was okay with her. She leaned lightly onto my side and squeezed my hand. I took it as a Yes. Then we started walking hand in hand, with a happy look on our faces.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

"Grabe, ang sarap nung sinigang tiyaka bopis nila no?" I said while we walked side by side.

"Uhuh. Sobra. Pati ung Kare-Kare. Pero, walang mas sasarap sa luto ni Nanay. Yung Kare-Kare niya kakaiba eh. Nako, pag nameet mo sila for sure walang dull moment."

"I can see that. Tignan mo naman naging resulta, isang goofy at lovable Mendoza."

"Sus. Caseiforme RJ."

"Ano? Uniporme?"

"Baliw. Caseiforme! Haha!"

"Ano yun?"

She giggled as she indulged in the moment of my unknowingness. I pouted and she stuck a tongue out at me.

"Search mo nalang."

I nodded and we kept on walking aimlessly. Not sure where we were headed. We just walked and chatted, until we reached 60th street by 3:00.

"Uy, Punta tayo sa Serendipity 3! Malapit na yun dito!"

"Yun ung kila John Cusack diba? Yung cafe?"

"Yep! I only went there once, with Coleen. Okay ba sayo?"

"Sure! I have nothing to do yet anyways. Wala pa naman akong call sa Airlines. Probably by Saturday ako na papalit na Pilot dun sa fresh grad na inassign."

She literally dragged me towards the cafe and we went inside. The first floor was quite full. So we went up to the second and the exact spot on where the artists sat were empty. We sat there and had Maine ordered for both of us.

"Uy may Idea ako. What if, we recreate Serendipity." I said.

"What do you mean?" She curiously asked.

"Let's do everything in Serendipity. Yung sa book, sa dollar, sa gloves."

"RJ, medyo imposible naman gusto mo mangyari."

"Nothing's impossible with Destiny."

"Okay then. Write your number on a five dollar bill with your name. And, eto, my pocketbook of poems ako. I'll write my name and donate this to a bookshop tomorrow, before I go to the office. And you, ipangbayad mo yang five dollar dito sa Serendipity 3."

Our orders arrived and we started doing just as said. I wrote my name and number on it and Maine wrote hers on the book. We finished our drinks and headed for Bloomingdale's.

"Ayun oh gloves section." I pointed out.

We walked to it and grabbed one pair of black gloves. We payed for it and kept one hand each.

"Why are we doing this again?" I asked while we sat on one bench of Central Park. Watching people pass by, kids walking their dogs and old people sitting on benches.

"To see if Destiny is real?"

"Di naman na tayo magkakahiwalay diba?"

"We'll never know of the future Jay. Di natin hawak ang buhay natin."

I stayed silent after what she said and just stared out into the open while she kept her hand in mine. She leaned her head on my shoulder and fell asleep.

"I'll be with you always." I whispered and kissed her forehead.