Chapter 21: Sunsets, Secrets and Same Mistakes

"Niall, can you go look for Katherine? I'm worried she won't be coming back." 

Niall stood up at Eleanor's request. "Sure," He piped. "Be back in a few."

The Irish boy walked out of Harry's beach house, the cool air smacking him on the face. He was wearing a blue jacket, his green "FREE HUGS" t-shirt and a pair of denim pants. He had kicked of his flip-flops and left it down by the porch- Niall liked the feel of the sand on his feet. 

He walked down the beach and found Katherine sitting by the water, her knees pulled up to her chest and her eyes staring in to the horizon. 

Her brown hair was flowing around her face, her sea green eyes shining. She was wearing a blue shirt that seemed a bit big for her and a pair of beaten up shorts. Niall smiled when he noticed that Katherine wasn't wearing any slippers or shoes. The gentle waves would lap over her bare feet. 

"Hey." Niall greeted, shoving his hands in to his pockets.

"Hi." Katherine greeted, looking up at Niall.

"What're you doing here?" The blonde asked, sitting down next to Katherine. 

"Harry said that he'd see the most spectacular sunsets ever around here, didn't he?" Katherine mused, tucking a strand of brown hair behind her ear. "Well I wanted to see if he was right."

"Well," Niall said with a small smile. "I'm inviting myself to watch, then." 

Katherine laughed, resting her head on Niall's shoulder. The boy felt his heart rate quicken as his fingers grasped Katherine's, their position the same as yesterday but... sweeter. 

The sun started to set slowly, a golden ball falling in to the horizon, creeping down the water. All the same, the sky was a beautiful color of magenta, the golden ball of a sun reflected on the clear blue water that looked almost green. The two were bathed in a crisp golden color, the whole beach shining from the sunset. 

"It's beautiful," The brunette whispered.

Niall looked down at her- worry and all other emotion except awe seemed to disappear from her beautiful face, her sea green eyes looking almost blue as it reflected the sun. 

"Yeah." Niall muttered. "It sure is." 

Katherine looked up at him, their faces mere inches from each other. 

Niall's heart was hammering against his chest as Katherine seemed to be getting closer... Leaning in...

He closed his eyes and... 

"NIALL! KATHERINE! WHERE ARE YOU GUYS!?"

Thanks a lot, Zayn. Niall thought as the two moved apart, their faces a deep color of crimson.

"I'M COMIN' MATE!" Niall hollered, getting up and holding a hand out for Katherine. 

Katherine took his hand and stood up, staring back at the horizon.

Her expression was wishful. 

"What do you say," Niall sighed. "What almost happened here stays here." 

Katherine looked at him and the ghost of a smile appeared on her face. 

"I wish we had more time, though." She said, taking one last look at the setting sun. 

"More time, and one more chance." 

Niall's heart literally stopped. Flashbacks came. 

Not enough time, no more chances.

A broken record... we're going in circles...

Same mistakes. 

"But we don't have enough time to fix it. No more chances to use. When it's broken, there's nothing to fix." 

Niall watched Katherine walk away, gears working in his brain.

He understood.

The pieces came together like a puzzle- this was it.

They had a chance, some time, at such a price... 

"Your memories," Niall whispered. "That was the price. But it gave us a chance. And enough time."

"To solve the same mistakes," He added, looking out at the setting sun and back at Katherine. 

"The same mistakes."